Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: poor battery life?

Hey All,

I have had a breakthrough!

I have had my BB Tour for roughly 4 weeks and have been completely out of battery power before the end of the day. I've read through all of these posts and tried many things and this is what I have learned, tried and succeeded in extending my battery power.

Note: I haven't recharged since yesterday...it has been over 30+ hours and I am at 60%. I use my BB everyday to listen to Audible (books on tape), eReader (like that I can read a book at night with no light to bother my spouse), numerous texts from my 17 year old, mainly, dozens of calls and checking in on the weather and such online.

So here it is:

1) Download QuickPull. I went ahead and got the pro version for ease of use. This is like taking your battery out and refreshing your BB. (Remember, you BB is actually a little computer.)

2) And, most importantly, you have to close applications when you finish with them. I thought that would be a hassle, but it has actually improved my Audible experience and it takes, what....two seconds to do. Here's what you do:

• Press the "alt" key and keep pressing it down while you also tap the back key (arrow key right of trackball). This will bring up all the programs you have open. If you are like me, I was amazed at how much I had running at one time. No wonder my BB was sucking wind.

• You can release the "alt" key, and either use the trackball or keeping tapping the back key to view which applications are open. Press your trackball to select an application.This will open the selected application.

•  Once in, select the BB key (menu button left of the trackball) and scroll down until you see something like "Close". Select that and it will close the application down and stop drawing power from your battery.

• Note, there are always about 5 programs running in the background of your BB that you cannot shut down: Browser, BB Messenger, Home Screen, Phone, Messages - and programs like Quick Pull or Caption.

So, originally, I had those running plus, Audible, eReader, Weather Channel, Camera and Viigo. No wonder my BB was fried before the end of the day!I am sure they talk about closing out of apps somewhere in the manual..but I was so overwhelmed with the transition that I never registered the importance.

Hope this helps you all.

Samantha

New Contributor

Samantha,

Glad to hear that you've had success.  This method won't work for me because I always check my applications and I also pull my battery everyday (because I switch them out).  I hope it does help other though.

Also, you can get to that menu by simply holding in the Blackberry key.  Smiley Happy

Geo

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Tour

is quick pull lite ok? that's what i found was free.
Contributor
My Device: Tour

[ Edited ]

did anyone answer the question about where the escape key is?

>> update,  nevermind, i see it described in the one of the last entries on this thread.  thanks.

Message Edited by sanitychek on 09-13-2009 03:12 AM
Visitor

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded QuickPull Lite. I also have my Tour scheduled to auto on/off every night.

Is it ok to schedule Quickpull while it's off? Or should I have it turn back on, then schedule QuickPull.

Thanks,

D

Message Edited by drew-k on 10-13-2009 12:29 PM
Message Edited by drew-k on 10-13-2009 12:29 PM

An update - I was not only getting poor battery life, but my device got more and more sluggish.  I did check my available memory and it was close to 100MB.  I also used the app that reboots the device, but that didn't seem to help.  Finally, I wiped my device including all third party applications, then set it back up on our BES server.  Wow - what a difference.  My battery life has significantly improved, as well as the performance of the device.  I also configured it so it only retains15 days of e-mails.

I have noticed that from the curve to the tour the tour does go through power at a much higher rate than the curve. I hadn't heard of this Quick Pull software, I just downloaded it and am going to give that a shot for a few days. As it stands I do a LOT of data work on it and texting and my battery only lasts about 6-8 hours before it starts whimpering for a sip of electricity. 

AKRowdyGal -  You have made some useful suggestions. I just got my tour last week and have been averaging 6-8 hours of battery life, Which as you point out is still wonderful for what you are getting, I still wish for a bit more since I sometimes have 16 hour work days, but  what can do you right? I am sure RIM will work out something for efficiency at some point.

New Contributor

Samantha,

It's all about the OS that's currently in the 9630. I researched the web yesterday and found a leak of v5.0.0.230 OS for the 9630 Verizon. There have been some other releases prior which were pulled back. On my trip back from Atlanta, GA Thursday I stopped in a Verizon store and told them this was ridiculous. My phone is only 3 days old and within 6 hrs my battery was in the red. Manager said it was a bad battery and pulled a new battery from the shelf. I gave it a full charge and headed back home to VA. 3 hrs later  battery was at 65% and I had not used it at all. Ended up buying a second car charger.

After installing the leaked OS v5.0.0.230 I'ved noticed a great improvement in the speed of the browswer and apps. Just to see how it performs I left the GPS and Bluetooth on. My 9630 has been of the home charger since 8PM Friday night and here it is 8;40AM Saturday morning and the battery reads 95%.

The installation of OS v5.0.0.230 is at your own risk and won't be supported by any techs but the way I see it is that the other OS wasn't worth a dam and the techs kept feeding me bull crap so what do I have to lose. Just back your files up prior to making the switch.

Sincerely,

Keoni

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

If anyone is interested in the OS v5.0.0.230 message me at 30E5D036 with an email that I can forward the file too. Or you can go to [removed unauthorized link] and obtain it from there.

Sincerely,

Keoni