Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

pop3 e-mail set up without BES, BIS or data plan

I just bought an unlocked storm2 free and clear - no contract (upgraded from Curve with no data plan). I have continuous wi-fi as my internet company provides me with unlimited wi-fi access wherever I go in the US so my plan is to access my e-mail thru wi-fi. 

Is pop3 e-mail set up possible without BES, BIS or data plan? Is there a 3rd party e-mail apllication available for blackberry, much like for pc where you can configure a 3rd party software (i.e., ms outlook, ms express, etc.) for your e-mail.   

Right now the only way I can check my e-mail is by logging into the internet  via wi-fi and going to my internet provider's web site. That is a hassle though as I have to go thru several steps before I can actually check my e-mails.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: pop3 e-mail set up without BES, BIS or data plan

If you don't pay for the BB data plan then you can't get email any other way.  If you use Gmail then you can use the Gmail app put out by Google but that is the only one that I know of. 

BB's require a special BB data plan...plain and simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Contrary to other mobile devices, the native email capability of the BB is not an on-device client. Others use things like ActiveSync as an on-device email client and can therefore do email with any data-level connection (wifi, carrier, etc.). BB's have no such native client...rather, they use the a carrier-side service called BIS that acts as the conduit between the email system and the BB. BIS enables email handling to be true push (from the perspective of the BB) - no traffic to the BB is generated unless BIS finds something at the server that needs to be pushed to the BB. For the most part, ActiveSync-type clients generate a pull action against the email servers, thereby generating traffic on the data network even if there is nothing at the email server that needs to come to the device -- the mere act of checking for new email generates the traffic.

I've heard of some attempts to create an on-BB ActiveSync-like client, but it gets so little discussion here in these forums that I fear it has yet to really be successful. And it's certainly not free I am sure.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550

Thanks. I just looked at gmail and I think it is the best solution right now for e-mail thru wi-fi. It actually let me do a pop3 e-mail set up (or imap as an option), So I'm good. I can check e-mails fast.

Another option I looked into is to simply forward my MS Outlook e-mails to one of those web based e-mail service (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.) but in the end, gmail is the best option due to its pop3 / imap capabilities. 

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Vodfone

Hi, I would have the same question, but before deciding on using a gmail app or other rd party email client, I would further clarify the question. I am to buy a BB, I used to use BB with my previous jobs, under a BES. I loved BB, but my new employr is not giving me a BB access. I would use it with my private POP3 mail account, but I can not buy BIS either, as my phone nr is my employer's property, therefore I can not ask a BIS service to my SIM.

Do I understand well, that the general BB e-mail client has to be forgotten? I don't want BB to push my e-mails, I am happy to download them manually. Still a pop email function is unavailale without a BIS?
Thanks
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So, you are ging to buy a BB with no service at all? No sim card? With wifi only you cannot get email on a BB without a BIS data plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

No, sorry you misunderstood me. I am to buy a BB and use with a SIM with internet data plan (let's say I have 500Mb/month). But as it is ot my sim card, but my employer's and asking a BIS is not possible, I wuold use it without BIS.

I understand BB Messenger works uniquely with BIS/BES. I also understand BB e-mail (the push e-mail service, so that I immediately see my mails) is not going to be available.

But the rest? Can't I set a POP e-mail with manual refresh and download of e-mails in a BB? if not, maybe with a 3rd party email client through BB Apps world?

Guru II

I don't know of any third party app available anymore to do that.  Google pulled their GMail app for BlackBerry a while back.  In order to get pop email you need a  BIS plan.

New Contributor

I got your point. I found LogicMail and Gmail Mobile and Funambol as possible 3rd party e-mail clients. I tried logicmail once when had a BB8520 with BES. It worked, but the BES policy killed all 3rd party apps from phone.

However I have another question. I am to buy a 2nd hand BB 9700 Bold. Very nice condition, and I could try it. I put my sim card in it, and internet works like a charm with the browser.

I opened the email client, and it said in wizard, that only option is BES (no BIS!). How is it possible? Is there a way to change the software on these BBs? I would need a clean empty BB mobile with no restrictions? Would an OS complete refresh help this?

Also, I could not find BB Appworld icon in Menu. Otherwise it looks good, Internet Works, so no issue.

Any ideas?

Guru II

First, if the device has any IT policy on it you will want to remove that:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202

Then the data plan you are on will need to support BIS access. There are some plans out there that are BES only. Make sure you're not on one of those.

The BIS email option isn't always in the Wizard. Go to Email setup and you should be able to setup BIS email there, as long as the sim has a BIS data plan.

Also, if your account has been used on a device with BlackBerry 7 then your BBID is used to set up your device. Going back to a device that doesn't support OS 7 and doesn't use BBID can cause some complications in getting your email.