Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: 48
Accepted Solution

problem apps + upgrading

Hi,

Can anyone help pls. I'm having problems with the app world on my 8520 curve. Everytime I go into it, it keeps telling me in order to continue I have to upgrade it but yet I can download apps from my laptop and sync to the blackberry no bother. When I try to upgrade via browser on my phone (which takes AGES to load) it keeps saying that the page is too big to load. Then I connect the blackberry via USB and checked if the phone needed any upgrades and it advised no upgrades need.... pls help as I can't use/download any apps on my BB ....aahhhhh

Thanks

S

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: problem apps + upgrading

Hello shazgreenhalgh

Welcome to Support Forums

Currently which version of BlackBerry app world you have on your device ? 

If you are having prioblem in updating BlackBerry World , then you try this : First delete any existing version of BlackBerry World from Options . Applications . locate and delete BB world from that list . Once it is done perform a Battery pull reboot by removing the battery while your device is powered on , wait for a min. then reinsert it back .

KB10040 :How to view or remove installed application on a blackberry smartphone

Finally , after reboot use your BlackBerry Browser and browse to www.blackberry.com/appworld/download and download the most recent available for your device model.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

Thanks for your help.
Not sure how to check what app world device I'm using (u prob think i'm stupid -only learning). I tried what u suggested i.e. options, applications, which is displaying 3rd party and all my app downloads (via usb) but no BB world on the list. I then hit menu, modules + there is a huge list of apps, addressbook, browser, calendar etc. As I scrolled down I saw net_rim_bb_appworld 3.1.0.60 + app barcode/resource/updater etc. Could that be it? + if so which one do I delete? or am I on the wrong track?
Thanks again..
Elite II

Hey shazgreenhalgh

No problem , we all learn here on this peer to peer BlackBerry Community Support Forums Smiley Happy

If you have BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, then go to Options >Applications> then select Third Party . On that list are you unable to view BlackBerry App world or BlackBerry World ? If you are then highlight it > Press the Menu Key > Click on Delete .

Or if you're having problem in locating BlackBerry App World then simply use your BlackBerry browser and browse through the above link , it will prompt if you want to replace the existing version then Click on Yes .

Try it again and let us know.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

ok so I found it under options, applications, add ons
Now BB world app is deleted and ph rebooted.
Now new problem , I can't seem to download BB app world.
When I clicked on the link u provided it brings me straight onto http://uk.blackberry.com/apps/app-world/download.html? site.
I then tried downloading via usb and then this page comes up http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld Disaster....
When I try it on my mobile browser it brings u to exactly the same link above. V frustrating , now I've nothing.
I'm sure I'm doing something simple wrong?
Thanks again for helping.
Elite II

Hello there,

Are you trying to download it from a Computer using USB cable !

Can you try the link using your BlackBerry browser ! On the Home screen of the BlackBerry® smartphone, click Options > Advanced Options >Browser > Set the default browser to Internet Browser and then click the link I suggested.

shazgreenhalgh wrote:
I then tried downloading via usb and then this page comes up http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld 

If you click on the above link using your BlackBerry browser it will allow you to download BlackBerry World but not through USB cable . 

Contributor

tried it through both usb and browser.
Using the browser on the BB j+ went http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld saying MODE NOT AVAILABLE and the page is just blank after that.
I checked options, adv options, browser and its set on hotspot browser and there is no option to change the browser (only 1 listed).
Any other brain waves?
much appreciated,Thanks
s
Elite II

Hi,

Are you able to browse Internet ? Or other BlackBerry application like BBM, Email on your device ?

Contributor

Hiya,
I can browse the internet using wifi.
Without wifi I had to download opera mini (via blackberry app world would u believe) and use that.
These problem all started when I changed service provider to go conquer (48) + they advised to download opera mini.
No email. Tried to reconnect the email through setup etc and it keeps saying device problem connecting to server.
I checked with BIS to register and that's saying check that the URL is compatible with my wifi..
Now i'm Lost. I should have just struggled on the way I was, as the BB apps worked yesterday (when the upgrade didn't pop up)
Elite II

Hi,

Yes I know , that's the reason I asked if you're able to use those apps , the above link works well if you have specific data plan from your Carrier , it will not work from Opera .

If you want to use BlackBerry applications like internet browser , BBM and email then you need a specific BlackBerry Data Plan / BIS from your Carrier  ( I don't know if your carrier 48 support BIS , you should ask them ) .Once you activate it on your account , it will allow you to use all BlackBerry application over your Mobile network as well as over Wifi .

Currently BlackBerry World works over wifi without BIS , So you should try to download it over wifi or try this Knowledge Base to install using a computer . 

KB31325 : How to install or update the BlackBerry App World application using a computer system

To Install application from BlackBerry World refer to this Knowledge Base :

KB28715 : How to Install applications from BlackBerry App World using a Computer system