Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

problem with ESN/PIN format

[ Edited ]

First, let me say that I am very, very new to the whole Blackberry experience.  I just got my first Blackberry (the Curve 8330) yesterday (9/5); I am using Sprint as my wireless service provider.  So here's the story:

I was trying to add my Blackberry Curve 8330 to my Handango member account.  However, the ESN/PIN that I have found (using both Handango's instructions and the instructions on the Blackberry support website) do not match the format provided.  I do not have an identifier in this format: "031/1X/XXXXXX".  I have three "unique identifiers": an 8-digit numeric PIN, an 11-digit numeric ESN (dec) and an 8-digit alpha-numeric ESN (hex); Sprint identified the ESN-hex as the ESN for my device in my paperwork.  Can anyone tell me why these numbers don't match the described format?

ETA: Well, I just got off the phone w/Sprint.  Since both my ESN-dec and the BB ESN format have 11 characters (w/exception of slashes), my  ESN-dec could be right.  That still makes my ESN look not-quite-right,since it would be "076/1X/XXXXXX".  Does anyone have an ESN that looks like that?

Since Handango uses this number as the device identifier for any software I might purchase, I don't want to mess up anything when I try to sync and install that software on my BB (at least, that's my understanding-- I could be wrong).  This may be a non-issue... I haven't bought/downloaded anything from them in a while, since my old PDA is well... old.  I just don't want to try it unless I know it's OK.

I have another issue, but I don't expect any of you guys to know the answer to this one-- Handango's site said that "the device name is already in use" for all three of these numbers.  Which I don't understand, because they are supposed to be unique to my specific BB, right?  (I've got another support email in to them, so hopefully that will produce a helpful answer.)

Thanks so much for your help!

Message Edited by scribblecraft on 09-07-2008 11:15 AM