Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: orange uk
Accepted Solution

problems reloading the firmware onto a wiped bold 9900

having moved from o2 to orange i had been having some issues, i reset the device but still no joy, it didnt seam to want to play ball. so took the option to reload the system. i have downloaded the latest firmware from the bb site, for both o2 and orange - currently i have installed on the machine rel2930 o2 uk rel2061 orange uk and rel2807 orangeuk but the app loader keeps moaning that i dont have a version to install on the handset.

triedl the web based version, it starts download the same files i have downloaded and installed 2061 but does not say what base operator gets to 32% then fails. tried this 4 times tonight. yet i know i can download as i have pulled down the other rel version tonight as well.

anyone got any ideas? thanks andy

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700, 9790, 9900, Curve 8520, 9360, Blackberry Z10 | iPhone 5S
My Carrier: *

Re: problems reloading the firmware onto a wiped bold 9900

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Now, reload your OS. See this article.

How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Software fo...

Note: Please back up first before reloading the OS.

Thanks.

Good luck!

VIA | Forums Advisor III

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/bb-wont-turn-on/m-p/2479257/highlight/true#M1...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Please thank those who help you by clicking the original button.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"
Contributor

hi

thanks for the reply, i have looked at the link, on connecting to the bbm desktop software it moaned that the battery was not in correctly, once past this message it said i needed to upgrade the phone, the loader started and i had the option to pick a firmware, as i had been trying the latest version i picked the next versions down.

it when to download got to 1% and failed asked me to retry.

i will try the web route again, its a shame i cant screen record on this laptop and post that up to youtube.

Contributor

i have now come out of the loader and bbm desktop is now back to the following message.

blackberry desktop software cannot communitcate with the connected device -> options are to retry, update, cancel.

i click update, i then need to confirm the device repair,

its now looking again on blackberry for software updates.

its found

7.1 bundle 2061 (v7.1.0.714. platform 5.1.0.532)

clicked update, entered a email this time which i dont normally do,

clicked ok to the needing to reset up the device post upgrade.

now its updating  9%, 14% 21% 29% 32% 39% 42% failed

got more than last time..

Contributor

just got into the C:\Users\Baldock\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\Application Loader and copied the cache folder out, then deleted the old one and restarted the process, just in case its a dogdy part download which is the problem.

Contributor

ok that got me again to 46% then failed.

I have 8mb adsl out here and never normal have issues with downloading stuff.

do you know if I can find out what version its trying to pull down, then head to the site and download it manually?
Contributor

38% that time..
Contributor

just trying the http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-blackberry-operating-system-os

just reinstalled the firmware onto the pc picking repair.

checked i dont have a vendor.xml in the apploader folder.

go thought the options and i get the following message

the blackberry desktop software does not have the software that you have connected to the computer contact your wireless service provider or system admin.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

From your posts, I cannot quite tell if you are fully following the specific instructions that allow you take control and bypass the automatic Desktop Software updating process. With the below procedure, you will first download and install to your PC the specific OS package you desire to install to your BB...that way, the step to download from the Internet is separated from the installation step, possibly giving you a greater chance of success.

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

hi sdgardne

thanks for the very detailed reply, i was on the phone to orange uk tech support when you posted.

i have so many packages installed for 9700, 8900 and 9900 it could be getting confused, but heres the update.

orange man said that the version of the software on the bb site for download should work but i have just bit the bullet and picked the oldest on on the site from 2011. yes its a downgrade from what was installed but it should move forward. and it did.

i installed the oldest firmware onto the laptop, nuked the vendor.xml again (must be about the 30th time this week) fired up app loader without the battery in the phone and bingo it worked like a dream.

i did use the bbsak to wipe the phone in the first place.

i had unlocked the handset before trying all this so could pick either o2 or orange for firmware images.

its installed that older one successfully, i will now try and move up the upgrades list.

many thanks for both of your help