Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

problems with 8220 WiFi and battery

I'm not sure if these 2 problems are related. I've had a 8220 for 11 months and notice my battery life has really deteriorated the last few days. at the same time accessing WiFi from my phone is not as reliable. I know there is no problem with my Wifi as I have no problem accessing it from my laptop from the same connection.

Is this problem related to my battery? or are there other ways to improve WiFi connections from my 8220.

thanks

Contributor

Re: problems with 8220 WiFi and battery

my battery life seems to have slightly improved after cleaning the battery terminal points. however i still have a problem with connecting to WiFi. most of the time my phone cannot detect the WiFi even when right next to the router. and when I have been able to detect it through scan networks I cannot connect. this is despite having no problem connecting to wifi via my laptop.

anyone have any ideas?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: problems with 8220 WiFi and battery

I had exactly the same problem with WiFi calls (see my old posts on dropped calls).  I tested my phone in another WiFi location (in a coffee shop) and didn't have problems.  Even though my computer recognized the signal, my phone dropped the calls.  I changed my router and verified that all phones jacks (except the router) were using DSL filters.  Since then, the problem disappeared (except when I synch music).

When outside, the phone will periodically drop calls moving between WiFi and edge networks.  However, I usually turn off the WiFi network anyway to conserve batteries.  While at home, the WiFi connection is more reliable if I turn off the edge network so the phone stays on WiFi and doesn't look for another network.  By default, I set my preferences to WiFi at home, so even if I forget to turn off the edge network, it still looks for WiFi.