Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

"A media card is not presently inserted in device"

[ Edited ]

A friend gave me her old 8800. I popped my sim card in... VOILA! IT WORKS! Everything seems peachy except when it comes to the media card.

I've got a 1 GB Sandisk media card that I previously used w/ a Helio device. 

I put the card in correctly and i get the  "A media card is not presently inserted in device" message.

I've taken the card out, placed it in my computer's media card reader and reformatted (FAT) and i got the "A media card is not presently inserted in device" message.

I've read that you have to put EVERY OPTION for "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" and I still get "A media card is not presently inserted in device". 

The card seems to be working fine when it's in the media card reader in my computer AND when it's my Helio device, but when it's in my 8800... NO DICE!

I've upgraded the device software to v4.2.1.79 (Platform 2.3.0.74), it's with AT&T.

Any suggestions? Answers? Anything?

Message Edited by booger on 09-27-2008 02:22 AM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: "A media card is not presently inserted in device"

Hi,

Have you tried pulling the battery when the device is on, inserting the media card, then replace the battery. This will let the BB

"wake up" with the media card in place. And reset all the options.

Let me know if it helps!

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Bifocals wrote:

Hi,

Have you tried pulling the battery when the device is on, inserting the media card, then replace the battery. This will let the BB

"wake up" with the media card in place. And reset all the options.

Let me know if it helps!

Thanks

I've tried that...  well what do you mean "And reset all the options."  I've tried every avenue that I could. I think it just may be the action electronics of the card reader in the BB. 

Guru I

[ Edited ]

I meant reset all options as in, the battery pull would allow the BB to wake up with the media card, and reset all the options.

Just checking the options:

Media Card support

ON

Encryption

NONE

Mass storage support

ON

Auto enable when connected

YES

On your media card do you have these folders?

Blackberry

Pictures

Music

Ringtones

Videos

Voicenotes
This is the folder structure that the Blackberry needs to allocate the media to.

Let me know!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-29-2008 10:50 AM
Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-29-2008 10:51 AM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Well, I've had those settings in a time or two, changed them because I read I needed to so the card will work. I don't have any of those folders on the card, because my BB won't recognize it. I even tried inserting the media card into my PC's card reader and manually creating those folders JUST IN CASE it would work. No dice!  I've formatted the card to FAT from my PC, done a battery pull.. NOTHING! I've formatted it to FAT32 from my PC, done a battery pull... NOTHING! I've done both FAT an FAT32 with MSMS turned on AND off. And I still get:

"A media card is not presently inserted in the device."

Everything I've done has lead me to that same message. I can't format the card in the BB, because the BB is not recognizing the card. My PC recognizes the card, my other phone recognizes the card. 

I've done a battery pull w/ the battery out for 10 seconds, like some people say...  I've done a battery pull w/ the battery out for 10 minutes, like some people say... I've done a battery pull w/ the battery out for THIRTY MINUTES, like some people say....

I've done all those things multiple times trying different avenues of settings each time. I might have exhausted every avenue I could. Trying to figure this out has taken up so much of my time, it's sad. HAHAHAHAHAHH

I've taken it to an at&t store, they can't do anything bc I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer and I don't have money to talk to the RIM people. 

I'm at a loss here Smiley Sad

Guru I

Hi,

I am out of ideas!

Hang on and watch the post I'm sure one of the other users will have some input.

If I think of anything more, I will post it.

Wish I could have been more help!

Thanks

New Contributor

It's alright. Thank you for your input, though. I'm just glad someone was willing to help. I honestly think I've been working on this for too long and that I should probably just let it go. I might just switch devices and get something else. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my BB! But I need to be constantly dabbling with media for the line of work I'm in and with the media card not working... I need another solution STAT!
Guru I

You might want to spend $20 and try another card, (you can always take it back)

before you bail on the BB.

Just my opinion!

Thanks

New Contributor

I don't know... the card works everywhere else but the BB. maybe I'll see if anyone I know has a BB and try out their card, before I go spend 20 bucks...  right now, I'd rather spend 20 bucks on gas. HAHAH.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8110 Pearl
My Carrier: Me

Hi there. i was having exactly the same problem today. I just read your thread after having tried to format the memory card on the pc first and the first solution worked!

after having formatted your card on the pc place the memory card in your bb. then perform the battery pull. once the battery is out place your memory card in FIRST AND THEN turn your device in. dont put the memory card in AFTER you have turned your device on.

Hope that helps and works..

Zee