Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

"About" doesn't work, device resetting itself constantly

I upgraded my Curve 8310 device software to version 4.5 a month ago or so and it worked fine until just the other day. Now the device keeps restarting for no apparent reason, over and over again.

When it finally settles down (which I think happens only when it's plugged into my PC) I try to check the version information in the About section (Options menu), clicking on About does nothing. All the other menu items work when I click them. I have just now tried to update via the BlackBerry website Device Software page, and it updated to 4.5.099 (I believe that was the version number) and since that didn't fix the thing, I then tried to perform a device "wipe" through the Security Options menu, but none of these steps has solved the problem of the device resetting and I am still unable to access the version info in About.

I've spent about 4 hours on this today and have searched all over the Web for possible solutions, but so far have come up empty. Any help would be much appreciated. If any more info is needed from me to help identify the problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "About" doesn't work, device resetting itself constantly

1. When you upgraded a month ago, did you do any file removals from your PC's Java folder, such as the voice activated dialing cod files? That remove the 'About' feature. Instead, now press ALT + rightSHIFT + H for the same/similar screen.

2. .99 is not an ATT OS release version. Just Friday, ATT released OS version 4.5.0.110 for the 8310.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Spain and Vodafone is my carrier, so I guess that would explain the version number difference. I just went to the device upgrade page on BlackBerry.com and it automatically selected the version for me (4.5.0.99).

And nope, I didn't physically remove any files or anything else when I upgraded (in fact, I have a Pearl as well and upgraded it at the same time and have had zero problems with that device, so this is baffling to me), so in theory that wouldn't be the cause. I will try to keep looking around but this remains a mystery to me. The device just keeps resetting over and over again (hourglass for a long time, then starts to initialize, then red LED goes on and it resets again).

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

I am having the same problem with my Storm. Did you find a resolution to the problem?

geoff.... What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.5.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

And what model Storm?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry9800
My Carrier: boot mobile

My device BlackBerry 9800. Need helped to upgerded plz helped.
New Contributor

I have searched for updates, running version 5.0.0.841 model 9500, wiped all non standard apps and researched this problem online. No one out of the dozens of documents I have read have a solid answer. Some phones are barely weeks old when the issue kicks in. Nothing in particular seems to set it off and one it actually reboots when I have it hooked up via AC it comes up with an index exception 8>=8
Highlighted

GeoffGuckel wrote:
I have it hooked up via AC it comes up with an index exception 8>=8

Oh ok, I thought the issue was that you could not get to the "About" screen, since that is the issue stated earlier in this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

The problem is it constantly reboots. Is there a known battery fault perhaps?

GeoffGuckel wrote:
The problem is it constantly reboots. Is there a known battery fault perhaps?

None that I have heard of... try this., place a business card or a folded piece of normal paper over the battery and replace the battery door. See if that solves the reboot.

You might also clean the gold contacts on both the battery and device, with a VERY LITTLE amount of rubbing alcohol on a que tip.

Knowledge Base Updates