Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

"BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software" - high CPU usage

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

First time poster, and recent BlackBerry convert, so apologies if I'm covering old ground (have searched but can't find definitive answers).

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9780, barely over a month old, but it's beginning to make me regret switching from an iPhone.

Quite simply, it is very slow - intermittently, but with increasing frequency. Simple tasks such as making a phone call or replying to an SMS become impossible when the phone decides to grind to a halt.

I've checked the apps running, and there's nothing there that shouldn't be - Home, Phone, Messages, Browser and BBM and nothing else. A pattern I've noticed when the phone begins to run slow is the "data" symbol (box with diagonal arrows) at the top right of the screen flickers (normally what looks like the downloading arrow). This happens when I'm not using the phone, but always assumed it was some sort of push service or background software update.

After the slowness became more persistent I did a little looking around, and found that in Options > Application Management > CPU "BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software" was chewing up CPU to the tune of up to 100% (ranging as "low" as 70%). Now I'm guessing this is the OS, but it seems ridiculously high usage when the phone is effectively idle and I have no doubt is the cause of all my woes.

As an aside (which I assume is loosely connected), battery life can vastly vary day to day on the phone. For example, two identical days (say 15 hours between charges) of low usage (e.g. checking messages, etc.) can result in either nearly full or nearly empty by the end of the day.

I love my new BlackBerry but the OS has me at my whit's end. I'm hoping there is a simple solution that doesn't involve returning the phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced for any help! 

My Device: 9300 Curve
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: "BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software" - high CPU usage

New User but this forum was helpful so I feel obliged to chime in.  Reloaded 6.0 on my 9300 Curve and CPU usage for Phone App dropped from 80 to 95% to near 0% unless I am making a call.  Just made the change a few hours ago and all is good.  If you see no other posts from me you can assume it worked long term.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: telcel

How do I do this?

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9780

My favorite questions: have you installed new third-party apps recently? Some of third-party apps really chewed up memory and drained batt.
I did check my 9780 CPU usage just now and it was 5-8% only.
your "thumb" would be appriciated if you find my post helpful
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: telcel

I unistalled all, but it is still so slow curve 9300 3 G

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9780

alecita19,

did you downgrade your os to os 5?

looking at official specification, yours (9300) only has 256MB of memory and i think this is not enough to run os 6.

your "thumb" would be appriciated if you find my post helpful