Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Clapham Junction

"JVM Error 517 ... Reset" My Torch won't boot up or re-charge

Having run the battery down, and then trying to re-charge it from the mains, I receive this on-screen message:  

" JVM Error 517    Reset "

The blank, white  screen with this tiny message has occurred every time since, on the screen my one-month-old BlackBerry Torch 9860.   I have tried clicking the central, square 'Enter' button, hoping thereby to comply with the instruction to 'Reset' (Heaven knows what!).  This is what then occurs:

After going black and blank for a couple of seconds, and then immediately shows for perhaps 5 sec a red light at the top right of its case;

Then after a couple of seconds of empty black screen, a miniscule hourglass shaped is shown centrally on the black screen for a short period;

Then that is replaced, still in the middle of its black screen, by BB's dotty logo and the BlackBerry name;

Then mobile phone then gives hopes that it is about to re-boot, because a time/progress white line is added below, creeping left to right (as one looks at it) across the bottom of the screen.  Unfortunately, each time the line only creeps 2/3rds of its way across,

The line then unfortunately stops, pauses, and then the screen goes black and blank again.

And Once more it displays the aforementioned "JVM Error 517   Reset" on a white screen.

I thereby seem to be unable to access ANY of the menus, icons or software (as suggested by other contributors in the many threads on this subject).

I fear that I, or the shop where the contract for the phone was bought, will lose all my data stored in my contacts list.

I have tried removing, wiping, leaving the battery to cool, before replacing it.  I've even tried starting the Torch without a battery. Also I've tried starting it with the U-turn arrow (inside left of the buttons across the lower part of the case of my BB Torch .

Any advice for me (or for me to print out and show to my phone shop in London) would be much appreciated.

SC

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "JVM Error 517 ... Reset" My Torch won't boot up or re-charge

1.Try booting your BlackBerry in SafeMode and remove all third party applications.

Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

Go to options > device > Application Management, and delete all third party apps from the device.

If you can do this, let us know.

You will then want to do a complete backup of your device using the desktop software.

I would also suggest your install and run daily BlackBerry Protect, see my link below.

2. Article ID: KB19442 Hardware related JVM error codes

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your advice, JSanders,

Are you, by any chance, John R Sanders aged about 68, or John Sanders of Hove?

I think that I may have installed "BlackBerry Protect" a month ago soon after purchase, as I remember installing some free app for some form of protection. Also I received plentiful messages in the 12 hours before my BB Torch crashed, informing me that it had tried 50 times to back up my data, but had been unable so to do, as I had not been in connection with a WiFi for some 48 hours. Each time it promised to keep trying.

I have tried to start up my Torch while depressing (during the whole process) the U-turn arrow positioned at inside-right, which I'm led to believe is the 'safe mode', but the mobile still can't achieve more than 2/3rds of the white line across the bottom of a black screen, before it reverts to the on-screen message, " JVM Error 517   Reset ".

S.C.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Are you able to restart your device in safe mode as shown in KB17877?

I assume, since it's caught in a reboot cycle, when you connect to the Desktop Software it doesn't take a stable connection to reinstall your software?

If that is case, remove your battery and keep it out when you connect to the Desktop Software. You will get a pop up that the device can't connect and there should be Retry, Update and Cancel buttons. Select Update and you will then be able to reinstall the current device software version.

When the load is progressing, you will see a step that says "Wait for device initialization". At this point, insert the battery and the reload should complete.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I am frightened that while trying to repair this fault, my BB Torch will lose my data: diary; contacts; notes etc.

S.C. 

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

do you have any backup at all or installed protect?

from the KB

An example of such a failure would be the corruption of the physical flash memory.

Reloading BlackBerry Device Software for the following hardware related JVM errors will not permanently clear the JVM error that was initially raised:

The advice i gave might make it work again but doubt it will keep the data intact.

I had teh 517 error before and a reload fixed it and I had a backup.

good luck and let us know how you make out.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V