Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

"Messages" Database Size almost 100 MB, over 8,000 messages?

My Blackberry has literally slowed to a crawl, I have no available memory for ANYTHING.

I went to Options -> Status -> Database Sizes and see that my "Messages" database includes over 8,000 entries, and the database is over 99,900kb..On a 9700 that's the bulk of available space. I've also been getting more and more "Uncaught exemption" messages lately...I assume they're probably related issues.

I've changed the "Keep Messages" option to "30 days", but that's obviously not doing anything. Over the past month or so I've deleted everything I could to make more room, but the memory kept creeping down...I assume because the messages database just keeps growing out of control.

Anybody have a clue? Something for the IT guys at the office to take a look at? I can understand having options to keep a lot of emails on the system to make it easier to find stuff, but I certainly don't need emails from 6 months ago kept on the device....

9700, AT&T and OS 5.0.0.602

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: "Messages" Database Size almost 100 MB, over 8,000 messages?

Whenever there are problems on your phone, ALWAYS start with a battery pull.  That will free up memory right there.

While your phone is powered on, remove your battery then replace it.

Let us know your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Battery Pull does nothing, This is an issue that has lasted months, despite numerous battery pulls.

I found out about the "Delete Prior" selection in my email; and deleted all but the last few days of emails...that freed up about 60 MBs, which is frigging great.

However Options -> Status -> "Database Sizes" still says my Messages database has over 3,000 entries and 40+ MBs of data...I know there can't be more than a couple hundred emails; I have deleted all my text messages as well. Any ideas what else is stored in the Messages database?

I've got Google Talk, Facebook, and gowalla installed...nothing else that could even remotely be considered "messages"

I assume that the google talk records aren't kept on the device memory itself except for a handful, maybe that's wrong?

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi edlesslike and welcome to the forums!

This articles lists all the Blackberry device databases and what they hold.

List of all databases on the Blackberry Smartphone

Make sure to get a full backup of your device before clearing content.

How to clear the user content databases from the BlackBerry smartphone

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter