07-27-2008 11:14 PM
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-28-2008 05:03 AM
07-28-2008 07:44 AM
07-28-2008 10:01 PM
We have a similar issue. What happened is that we were getting to item #1454 out of 2730 records.. what was happening was that BB desktop was going through the calendar entries in the outlook.pst and perhaps ran out of space?? what we did was set auto archive on and archive all the old calendar entries effecting reducing the outlook.pst from 2700 records to 400 records. Also set advance preferences to only sync 5 days past and 30 days ahead for calendar. After archiving the old records in outlook, it worked!! Hope this works for you.
07-28-2008 11:49 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I don't have nearly so many entries to sync, yet it was still failing. In the end I had to think up a workaround.
Since it was clear that the "bad" entry was somewhere in my Outlook calendar (and I couldn't find it, no matter how many records I deleted), I decided to sacrifice my "bad" Outlook calendar, and repopulate it with my "good" BB calendar...
-export the following folders to separate CSV files (Sent, Contacts, Inbox, etc)
-move outlook.pst file from C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
-reopen Outlook, forcing it to create new pst file
-configure BB sync to sync one way, from Device to Outlook
-sync, which then repopulates Outlook calendar
-import my other folders from the CSV files created earlier
-reconfigure BB sync so that it syncs two ways
I'm guessing that I had some recurring appointment in Outlook that the sync operation didn't like. So, I'll be more careful in the future and create shorter recurrences, and make fewer changes to individual instances of the recurring appointments.
It's a pain in the butt, but it worked for me, and I have all the data I need.
08-23-2008 02:38 PM