Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: curve
My Carrier: verizon

"Select" buttons not being activated by trackball

Hi all,

Was wondering if perhaps someone might have experienced this or have an alternative solution. Not that experienced a Blackberry user at all so hoping someone more familiar might know more.

My trackball usually works fine, scrolls fine and depresses "select" buttons as needed. But on occasion, some select buttons will not "press". Have tried it repeatedly and held it it down for 10 seconds etc, and tried various ways but it doesn't seem to register. I know the button functions as I've had other people try on their Blackberry's and it works fine for them.

I've done the battery pull and cleaned the tracking ball/device to no avail. Could need a replacement I suppose but it works on 95% of the "select buttons" I encounter but some just won't work  even from the same website in same format/style etc. (for example, I post on another message board that uses slashdot and posting a message works fine with the "select" button but when I moderate and try to submit that, that "select" button does not register for me.

Has anyone ever experienced similar where certain select butons won't depress? And is there an alternate key/method to do this feature when this occurs - the "enter" key doesn't work on this (as it's a button and not a choosable underlined option) - but thought maybe there is a shortcut key or one that can be created that simulates the "select button" action and might work.

As I said I've tried battery pulls and cleaning and all and largely the trackball works fine so not sure a new one would work better on these limited problem areas - but limited as they are, it is annoying when they occur and if anyone has any possible solutions or alternative ways around this it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "Select" buttons not being activated by trackball

I think you're going to find out that this is a website issue and not one of your BlackBerry.

I've experienced similar.

Check your browser settings, and make sure you are set to emulate or the browser identification is at BlackBerry. Try different settings, like Internet Explorer or FF.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code