Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

"Service Not Enabled for this Handheld"

Okay, so I try signing in to AIM and MSN/WLM, but I get that message: "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld". I'm honestly not very fluent in phone-language and I'm new to Blackberries. So if anybody can help me it'd be really appreciated. My service provider is T-Mobile, and I do have an Unlimited Domestic Messaging plan. As far as I know though, that should have no bearing on whether or not I can sign in, so I don't know what to do.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: "Service Not Enabled for this Handheld"

To run the IM services there has to be an agreement between RIM, your carrier, and the IM client. Until there is there is nothing you can do about it to make it work. You may want to try webmessenger. I can get that to work for me.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

Webmessenger?

Also, how would I go about making the agreement between the three? I actually browsed the forums and saw the same thing, but it's more like a foreign language to me.

Forums Advisor III

You can't get them to agree. That's THEIR issue. There is NOTHING you can do to make it work. Webmessenger is a third party IM client. You can download it directly to your phone by going to webmessenger.com on you phone. You can use AOL, yahoo, MSN, ICQ, google and jabber. It is not as "pretty" as other IM services but it gets the job done.
New Contributor

Alright, thank you.
Forums Advisor III

You're welcome. Please let me know if you need any help with it if you choose to download it.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I use (and recommend) BeeJiveIM (JiveTalk.)  It's not free but it's one app that allows you to log into all your IM services.  I've used it for several year now and it's great.

www.beejive.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 8100

I had a hell of a time trying to download AIM on my T-Mobile Pearl.  Other forums mentioned downloading some kind of servicebook, but I gave up. 

Webmessenger is great.  Easy download and set up.  Chatting may not look as pretty as the AIM application, but you can chat using AIM, Yahoo, GoogleTalk, ICQ, and other IM services simultaneously with this one app.  Thanks!

My Device: Black berry 9300
My Carrier: VODAFONE

I too had the same problem I am from INDIA and my carrier is VODAFONE please help me to get out of this problem and I am new to this blackberry.Whenever I try to login to GTALK it sends an alert saying "Service not enabled for this handheld" and whenever I tryof logging to TWITTER it says " Could not find a service book entry for IPPP".Please please give me some detailed help please and my mobile model is blackberry 9300

Thanks in advance

Sri Harsha
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

contact the vodafone hotline and ask them to activate those service books. One for GoogleTalk and one for Twitter.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: