Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

"The media being played is of an unsupported format".

Is anyone experiencing the error message  "The media being played is of an unsupported format". When this occurs to me, my rintones also do not work. I am forced to pull my battery for a reset. I believe this has been the 5th or 6th time since I got this phone. Verizon told me that they weren't aware of this error message. Hopefully I'm not the only one experiencing this and when the official new release update comes out, it will fix this. I am debating whether I should just exchange the phone now. Keep in mind, this is already my second Storm. If anyone has had this same issue, please let me know. Thanks.
Contributor

Re: "The media being played is of an unsupported format".

Smiley Happy I had the same problem.  One answer or workaround, until it's fixed, is to take a VIDEO, Hit PAUSE, Blackberry button(maybe twice). Then you should be able to play the video.  The problem is, if you forget to do this

while taking multiple videos during the day, they will all be 'error' when you go back to them, losing all the videos you

spent so much time on.  It's ridiculous that this phone can take a video, then not be able to play it back!  BLACKBERRY,

where is the HELP for this??????

New Contributor

Will this work with music as well? I usually notice this happening when someone calls or texts me and I don't hear my ringtones. I then check the music player and it reads "The media being played is of an unsupported format". The videos also give me the same message. I'd rather do your method than having to pull the battery out everytime to wait for a reset.
New Contributor

I'm having the same error message when I try to play a video, but I can't pause it because when I press the play button and I the error message with the OK button, and I press the OK button all I see is a blck screen ... No Pause button in sight!
Contributor

From my experience, you can only fix this 'error' when you are actually RECORDING a video.  Rather than using the 'STOP RECORDING' , you must use the "PAUSE" button, then the BLACKBERRY button TWICE.     After this, you can then view your videos without issue.  As far as whether this works with MUSIC problems, I'm not sure.  I haven't experienced that issue.
New Contributor

No, it won't work :-(

Is it possible to hear back from the actual BlackBerry team on this topic? i have the same issue and it is just ridiculus..

Where are the RIM people? any time estimates on when the new OS release will be out?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

smejiag wrote:

Is it possible to hear back from the actual BlackBerry team on this topic? i have the same issue and it is just ridiculus..

Where are the RIM people? any time estimates on when the new OS release will be out?

Hi and Welcome!

In answer to your basic question, I will quote the tagline from the top of the message list...

These forums are a peer-to-peer support channel in which users help other users. While Research In Motion Limited will participate from time to time, please visit the Support & Services tab to access direct support options that may be available to you.

Now, that said, we sometimes get one of our members to divulge what they may know from an "insider" basis, but basically we never expect RIM to comment in these forums.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

I am getting this "The media being played is of an unsupported format" error too, but only after I created a video from my BB Storm 9530.  The meg4 formatted videos plays fine.  Do I need to add some formatting tool onto my BB device or do I need to download the create video file onto a computer (via Roxio), and get file translated from there? 
New Contributor

I use to get these messages but usaually after closing the program all the way down and starting the program again the problem was fixed never had to reboot my device to do this. Since .148 I havent gotten this message