Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch on BIS
My Carrier: AT&T

"start.exe" on media card root dir - what is it?

There is a file named "start.exe" on the root directory of the media card on my Torch. If I view "properties" of the file from within the file manager, it gives no indication what this file does. Is it something to do with connecting as a USB drive, or is it a third-party installer app?  

9800 Torch on BIS through ATT
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Re: "start.exe" on media card root dir - what is it?

If I remember rightly, it's the Desktop installer for the software to manage and sync data to your BlackBerry.  It's the same as the start.exe file that is on the mini-CD in the box.

Regards, Ben
Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Hello,

It is the same as the CD, it helps you use your Blackberry, you may delete it if you want and don't worry nothing will happen because Blackberry doesn't operate using exe files.
Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch on BIS
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks.

I left the file on there, but deleted the autoplay.inf file so it won't start every time I plug in a USB cable.

9800 Torch on BIS through ATT
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900
My Carrier: 3

Hi, you seem to know some stuff about bbs well I accidently formatted the media drive in the blackerry which contained this start.exe file etc. Is there anyway of getting the stuff back at all.