Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9320
My Carrier: vodafone

re-installing updating my blackberry

I have been having a lot of problems with my blackberry curve I went into t mobile shop today and the man says the best thing I should do is re install my blackberry and it all needs updated, the problem is I don't know how to do it can you help please? X
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: re-installing updating my blackberry

Hello!

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor

hi i backed up my device when i went into my documents it wont let me open it its saying go online to find the programme i dont understand

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

IPD files are proprietary...they are designed to be the source of restore to your BB if needed. They are not designed for anything else...the RIM Desktop Software can read and use them as the source of restore to a BB.

Some 3rd party apps exist in the world that can read IPD files, but those are 3rd party.

But, I have to ask...given the instructions I gave you, why do you need to actually open the IPD file?

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor

Sorry I thought that's what I was to do after backing up my device go into documents open it I have totally picked you up wrong I don't understand I have backed up my device
Hall of Famer III

Please go back to post 2.

Hit Reply.

Start doing what it says, and at the same time typing into the reply here what it is that you do. Be explicit, details, exactness. I have only your words to guide me...I cannot see your PC nor your BB.

--------------------------

From what you say, I can only guess that you are perhaps 1% into the process...you've taken a backup of your BB. That's a good thing. What does the process tell you to next do?

Trusted Contributor

thats the bit i am confused about it says after you back up your device close the desktop keep your device plugged in go to documents i did that but i am not sure exactly what i have to open or to do?

Hall of Famer III

Here...let me help you...please follow this example...

You did this (Step 1 in the linked instructions):

• Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device.  Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore.  On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data.  Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder).  Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.

It says nothing about going to documents. It says to note where, on your PC, you stored the backup IPD file. It does not say to "go to documents", at least I can't find those words... The purpose of noting where you stored the backup file is so that you can find it later when it's time to restore.

The next step is Step 2:

• Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file.  In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.  Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).

See what I'm doing? I'm pasting into this post the instructions from the other post...and then adding clarifications, questions, etc...that way, I can figure out what you are doing. I want you to do the same thing...if you have a question about something, paste the instructions that are confusing you into here...that's the only way you can help me not have to SWAG everything for you.

Trusted Contributor

• Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file. In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).thats the bit i dont understand its telling me to open the loader i tried this and it wont open
Hall of Famer III

First off, thanks...that's close...it would be more helpful if you separated your comments from the pasted instructions so that I can be sure to know what's what. Different colors for each bit are also helpful. Further:

porcha24 wrote:
  • its telling me to open the loader i tried this and it wont open

"Won't open" is a bit sparse...a better description might be, perhaps, that you double-clicked it in Windows Explorer and, something, happened...

Also:

• The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

That bit is prior to the numbered steps...did you do that?