Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

recovering memory after moving files to Media card

I inadvertently saved some pictures and  videos to device memory.  When I discovered this I moved the files to the media card, but the space in device memory has not been freed up, although the picture and video folders in memory show no files.  Any solutions?   I'm running OS 5.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: recovering memory after moving files to Media card

Remove the battery and reinsert.  This reboots the device and will free up the memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thanks, John, but I've done this (multiple times, since I have to do a battery pull every day), and the amount of memory after reboot is same as it was before moving the files.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

Which OS do you have? If you have 5, there is a Files application. Using that, you can browse the directory tree of your device and see where the file usage is. Once you go below the device/memory card level, if you highlight a folder, hit menu, then properties, it will tell you how much memory is in that folder (and below, presumably). Search for where your memory has gone.

Contributor

Yes, I have OS 5.  Using the Files application, device memory is practically empty, since almost everything is on the media card (pictures, videos, music, ringtones, eBooks, etc.).  But the available application memory is about 9 MB after reboot, and decreases over the day, and I've removed all applications that I suspected were leaking memory, such as Ebay, Facebook, etc.  

Perhaps I'm fuzzy about where application memory comes from.  Free device memory is roughly 845MB out of 860, but how is application memory allocated?

When I first installed OS 5 (from Rogers), I had about 20 MB of application memory, but it's been going down.  I don't want to downgrade back to 4.6, AT&T's official OS, because application memory was even worse then.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

"Device Memory" is basically an on-board media card.  It is separate memory from your "Application Memory." 

I would simply make a full backup of the device with Desktop Manager.  Wipe the device in Options >Security Options >Security Wipe.  Then restore the backup.  That will likely bring your application memory back up to where it was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thank you so much, John.  I have seen advice before about doing a security wipe, and I was nervous about it, but decided to go ahead, and it worked, but with some tweaking.  When I restored the backup, it did not restore the applications I had installed, it pretty much gave me a bare bones initial install, although all emails were OK.  And I had 48 MB of application memory!  

So I was very conservative about reinstalling the applications I wanted, and now everything is back to scratch and I have 22 MB, which I think is fine.

Guru II

Ah...well, it wasn't necessary to wipe the 3rd party apps.  Just the user data. 

Contributor

It was just as well; it got me to think about only installing the apps I really need, and I got nice new versions where available.  

Next time I do this I'll remember to do only the user data.  I assume I'll have to do it again eventually, because it seems to imply that there are flaws in the BB's garbage collection scheme.

Thanks again.

Guru II

Precisely.  Java is just that way.  Usually OS upgrades come out often enough that you can just upgrade and you get the same results...backup, wipe, restore.  Not everything gets restored.  Even if you keep the 3rd party apps, you will lose all the app data so that's some of the memory you got back.