Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

roller ball issues

From time to time my roller ball on my curve will not roll down.  It does move left and right and up just not down.  In the past it will just start to work again on its on.  There isn't any dust preventing it from moving.  Has this happen to anyone else?  Do you know how to fix it?
Contributor
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: roller ball issues

I have exactly the same issue!  Up, L & R work fine but DN stops.  I was just on my way to the Verizon store to get it fixed and after backing up to the PC it magically started working again. If you notice while scrolling around there a little friction on the ball.  I noticed that there was no friction while attempting to scroll down but there was normal friction in all other directions.  Now that it's working again the friction's in all directions.  I'm very confident that it WILL permanantly fail at some point.  Hopefully this will be a servicable part.

I am also having issues with the rollerball on my blackberry curve. 

It will not click most of the time, and when I want to select something, I have to push the ball multiple times. 

This all happened at the same as my keyboard jacking up. 

Is there damage to my BB? I hope not.

Any advice or help...anyone? 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

it is always a little dust pb.
just click on the trackball and roll it.

Some people use some piece of denim to rub the ball.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

I've had this issue on my 8830 as well as my 8330.  It just seems that a speck of dust gets under it. I went to walmart and bought a box (50 count) of EYE GLASS cleaning wipes, and once a week, I wipe the entire BB down, when get to the roller ball, I roll it around with the wipe, and it's worked flawless since.  Remember the old days when we had roller ball mice sitting on our desk, and we had to clean them once in a while because of all the guck that got on the ball.....same concept.
Contributor

TOO MANY MOVING PARTS

Yeah, this roller ball problem just continues to get worse.  Cleaning it weekly isn't resolving the issue as it progressively gets worse over time. Good luck.  I used to love my curve, I now hate the **bleep** thing.  I hate saying it, but I doubt I'll be going the BB route again after this.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

A couple of places for you to visit:   Blackberry 101   Tips & Tricks

Trackball issues.  I use a Zeiss lens cloth to clean my BB and when I do I use it to clean the trackball by rolling the ball in every direction; using the lens cloth to do the scrolling/cleaning at the same time.  If you get a piece of link/dirt stuck so that the trackball will not move; gently push in the direction that the trackball will not move thereby moving the debris out of the way.

Check out this link as well:    How to clean your BB trackball

Happy to have you here! Smiley Very Happy

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

THANK YOU IrwinII!!! I had the exact problem - every direction was working except "down". I followed your second link with instructions on how to remove and clean the rollerball and now it's working perfectly. One tiny spec of dust was being a HUGE pain in my rear. Thank you so much for your post, you just saved me several hours and a trip to the Verizon store! Smiley Very Happy

My Device: mike i-curve

Right on ! I didn't have any denim but used my cotton polo shirt and it worked right away.

Thanks

Visitor
My Device: 8330
My Carrier: boost

i had the same issue my track ball would work sometimes and other times it would not. i tryied wipeing it off that would work sometimes but not all the time. i got so fustrated with it one day i pulled the track ball out to take a look at it. and i found out because of the way it is put together it is a designed error. the track ball sits on 4 rolling pins and the dust and dirt accumunlates inside of the harrness that holds the track ball in place and what happens is the dust wraps around the rolling pins like tread stoping the friction needed  for the trackball to move the rolling pins. i went to a local retailer to have it fixed but they charge $25 i found a replacement track ball on line for about $7 but i broke the clips on the little sliver harness that hold the track ball in the phone so now not only do i need a new track ball i need a new phone. i have been a boost customer since they were nextel with the yellow filp chrip with the rubber . now since this is my second blackberry i have bought im think i need to go to att or verizon.