Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

scrolling problems - can't scroll down

This morning my little scolling control decided it no longer wanted to scroll down.  I popped the battery out but to no avail.  I can scroll up or side to side but not down.  Is there an easy fix for this?  Is there a way I can scroll down my lists of emails so I can open them without using the scrolling mechanism.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: scrolling problems - can't scroll down

It is likely just a bit dirty.

Do this (as recommended by RIM for this issue): press firmly on the trackball while scrolling IN the direction it does not want to go. That will normally dislodge the bit of lint or dust hindering it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I don't know if I replied to myself or to you with the last.  That technique didn't work in this case.  I don't suppose there is anything else I could try or that there is a way to get around without being able to scroll down.  I am in Mexico until December so I can't go into an ATT store.

Thanks

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Is there resistance when you ry to scroll down or does it roll but not respond? You can also take the ball out fairly easily to check for debris. Just remove the outer ring around the ball. But this is done at your own risk and pay attention to what direction the pieces are in.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

A small screwdriver works well, as does a retractable razor.  The silver ring has 3 "clips" on it.  The blank spot on the ring goes at the top.  The trackball part reinstalls with the white plastic brackets to the left and right.  Blow it out with some canned air.

This is for the 8330.

Hope this info helps....

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.

Here's an option before taking your bb apart.  Squirt some Windex on a paper towel. Not much, say less than your thumbprint. Wrap it around your thumb.  Scroll left, right, up and down for 30 seconds or so each direction.  The cleaner coats the trackball .... the friction cleans the underlying elements.  Hey, I'm not joking. Worked for me.  Patent pending.  (NOW, I'm joking!)  Hope this helps someone.

The windex method worked like a charm for me. Thanks for the help.

Hello all,

I had the same problem with my 8310 smartphone. Removing the track ball is real simple. You can use a toothpick to remove the outer ring. Hardly any pressure is needed and the toothpick doesnt harm the unit in any way. Once you have removed the ring, you can easily remove the scroll by simply turning the phone to one side. Clean the ball with some spirit, even your deodarant or perfume should do fine. Spray some spirit on a cotton stub and clean the track ball. Replace it carefully in the same way that you took it out. Place the ring on top and Voila...the track ball works perfectly fine.....like it was new.

Cheers....

Funny. I used 409 and it worked just as well.

My Device: pearl
My Carrier: o2

J Sanders. Thanks for the tip. It worked Smiley Happy ... for how long I don't know.  Time to google "how to dismantle Blackberry pearl" Smiley Wink