Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

security wipe with no bis - bbm

hi guys i changed my blackberry for an iphone so i cancelled my BIS and changed my tarrif plan to an iphone one. i removed the simcard so the phone said insert sim and the signal said SOS. i then went through and deleted my bbm contacts and after that did a full security wipe as i was returning the blackberry. This went fine and everything was clear.

But a couple of my friends have said im still on there BBM contact lists but when they message me they get a "red X" next to the message were it should be a D or R. I was wondering how am i still on there lists if i deleted them all and security wiped? Is it because i did this when there was no BIS so the blackberry couldnt send the data over the servers of me deleting the contacts? If so what will happen when the next person gets my phone and gets BIS will it automatically sync what i have done and remove me from my friends bbms?

Please help

Thankyou

Solutions: 6,379
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: security wipe with no bis - bbm

[ Edited ]

You are still on their list because they haven't deleted you. And, as you said, they can't send you a message.

Working correctly.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes but i deleted them and then security wiped aswell so that should of deleted me off there list to shouldnt it because they wasnt on my list anymore ? Or like i said is it because i did it without any service so its not processed on the RIM servers?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

When you upgrade to a different BlackBerry device, your PIN automatically updates in your friends' BBM with no effort on your part.  However, when you leave BBM, your name will not automatically delete itself from their BBM contacts list.  As JSanders said, they just won't be able to send you messages and therefore they will eventually delete you on their own.

Everything is working as it should be.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor

Thanks for that I understand what you are saying now Smiley Happy so let me get this straight I security wiped and it deleted all my bbm contacts but I'm still on their list but there not on mine on my phone, but because I have wiped them from my list and deactivated my BIS as I've moved to a different brand phone ill still be on their lists but they won't be able to Contact me they will just keep getting the red X icon when they attempt to and as you pointed out will eventually just delete me?

Thanks for the help so far I'm sorry that I'm a novice with all this I just want to be sure whoever gets my phone next won't have contact with my old bbm friends

Right, the red X means the message wasn't sent, because the contact does not exist. If it were sending the message, the friend would simply see a message sent with no D or R beside the message. If the message were received by the other device, it would show a D for delivered, but of course the message isn't being delivered to your old BlackBerry.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

thank you thats what i didnt understand fully but now i do thats the answer i was looking for Smiley Happy thanks for your help

Contributor

hi sorry to bring this up again but can i just ask aswell does doing the security wipe delete my old email account off the phone to it was a hotmail account, im sure when the phone restarted on the setup screen there was no email accounts on the email logo but i cant be 100% sure. Just dont want all my old emails going to the new owner. Also will the new owner have to create a new BBID when using the phone as im sure security wipe deleted the bbid off the device to doesnt it?

Thank you

1. Yes, the security wipe removes your email and accounts from the BlackBerry.

2. Yes, the new owner should create his/her own BlackBerryID account. Do NOT share your account with the new device owner.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

thanks for the clarification on the email - i am not sharing my BBID i just never logged out or anything because i thought a security wipe would just clear the ID off the handset anyway am i right in saying this?