Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry tour 9360
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

I have a national plan with Verizon that so we can call anywhere is the US without long distance or roaming charges. We just got rid of our landline and I needed to have a reasonably priced plan for Canada so I  paid for a years subscription to skype. I have designated my cell phone as the number to use. I was told that to use skpe instead of Verizon to make a call I use the skpye icon on the desktop. I have not been able to get this ap to work- I get a message that I need to subscribe to a skype plan in order to use this- Skype and Verizon both throw their hands in the air and say that I am on my own with this problem. I also can't get into my contacts through skpe and if I use my contact list and try to use my contact list the number comes up without the + sign and there is no way to edit it. But if I just use the contacts to call the plus sign is there.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: skype

kimdyuma wrote:

I was told that to use skpe instead of Verizon to make a call I use the skpye icon on the desktop.

are you talking of the icon on your Home Screen on your BlackBerry device, or about the icon on your desktop on your computer ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

I am talking aboout the icon on the phone out of habit I call the home screen my desktop

Guru I

when you launch Skype, you need to log in your Skype credentials. Did it work ?

when yo uare in Skype, you say you can see your contacts. Which are you talking about ? Your Skype contacts, or the contacts in the Address Book of your BlackBerry?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

If I use the skype icon and the skype contact list  I use my menu to call the number + CC and the number, skpe says that it is connecting but nothing happens. If it is a new number that I have called I am asked if I would like to add it to my Skpe contact  list. If I use the blackberry contact list and choose skype call from the menu it seems to be connects but nothing happens. I either get a message that I need to sign up for credits or that my Verizon plan covers US numbers- since I bought the plan to call Canada I want to use it for Canada since the Verizon plan is way more expensive but Canada and United States both use "1" as their country code so that may be some of the confusion.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 8530 verizon wireless

Are you trying to make a skype call to a phone in Canada or a computer?

if you are trying to call a regular phone number you will need skype credits.

if you are making a skype to skype call it should be free

if your numbers aren't showing up try deleting skype from device and re download

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>~

Hope I was able to help

If you have received information that has helped you out, please give them Kudos.

If your problem has been solved, please click on the post that resolved the issue

Contributor

Uhm i am trying to call a regular phone. i have a paid subscription for calling Canada- wouldn't that count as skype credits?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 8530 verizon wireless

I was making sure we were on the same page. Some people don't realize the difference until it is stated that way.  I had a similar issue, and after deleting app and downloading again it worked fine.

Don't know if this will help, but it couldn't hurtSmiley Wink

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>~

Hope I was able to help

If you have received information that has helped you out, please give them Kudos.

If your problem has been solved, please click on the post that resolved the issue

Guru I

kimdyuma wrote:

Uhm i am trying to call a regular phone. i have a paid subscription for calling Canada- wouldn't that count as skype credits?

when you use Skype from Verizon, you need to have :

• a Verizon subscription to call the US using the Verizon network
  • and Skype credits US->CAN that will enable the Skype network to propagate your call from US to Canada

Contributor

I have the plan. Thanks but the deleting the ap and reloading it seems to have worked- I made my first skpe call to my Canaidian nearest and dearest and spoke to their answering machine just fine:smile               yhappy: