Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

so you're telling me...

that when my phone screen goes nutty, and i have to get a new phone, that the programs i've bought and put months of data on are lost, because they've programmed the blackberry to install the programs on the phone instead of the memory card?

i can't even copy program data to my memory card so i can transfer it to my new phone?  when my phone breaks all data is lost.

it's obvious that this stuff could be designed in a manner that makes it a little more convenient to users when something breaks.

i have the program files on my memory card, but i call rogers and they say it can't be reinstalled. 

the files are

hourstracker-1.cod.rem

hourstracker.cod.rem

meta.app.rem

is there no way to reinstall these files and would any of them have the data i've put in?  

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: so you're telling me...

fdsaevad wrote:

that when my phone screen goes nutty, and i have to get a new phone, that the programs i've bought and put months of data on are lost, because they've programmed the blackberry to install the programs on the phone instead of the memory card? 

No, I don't know that anyone has told you that. At least not here... have they?

If you change BlackBerrys, your device PIN changes and you make that change in AppWorld, IF that is where you purchased the Apps. But you didn't even say where you've purchased from.

I know AppWorld and Mobihand.com will allow you to change the PIN of your device on those accounts so that new device will get the apps. Some apps will require a new registration key or license code.

fdsaevad wrote:

i can't even copy program data to my memory card so i can transfer it to my new phone?  when my phone breaks all data is lost.  

Yea some applications do allow that... BerryWeather does, QuickLaunch does. Not all developers have wised up and included that. It's a great feature.

fdsaevad wrote:

it's obvious that this stuff could be designed in a manner that makes it a little more convenient to users when something breaks. 

Lobby the developers to include that feature in more apps!

fdsaevad wrote:

i have the program files on my memory card, but i call rogers and they say it can't be reinstalled. 

the files are

hourstracker-1.cod.rem

hourstracker.cod.rem

meta.app.rem

is there no way to reinstall these files and would any of them have the data i've put in?  

Those files appear to be content protected, with the .rem on the end. At this point they are probably worthless.

Whoever you purchased at app from should help you port it over to a new device.

Ask them!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code