Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BB 9780 Bold
My Carrier: A1 / Vodafone

some annoying things in OS6

It's really annoying that most websites send me to their uncomfortable mobile sites, at my old BB 9000 Bold I just changed the browser identification to firefox and was happy But I couldn't find this option in OS6, I googled alot to find a solution, but I found no way to change the browser identification to firefox or internet exploer and an alternative 3rd party browser is no proper solution Also the desktop software allways tries to install that social network **bleep** on my phone, i DON'T want that stuff on my phone, how can i stop that and why is it not enough to just uninstall it when i first set up my phone?
Solutions: 6,398
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: some annoying things in OS6

Regretfully, OS v.6 does remove the ability to select your browser emulation. I, too, am hoping it is added back in soon.

Franz wrote:
Also the desktop software allways tries to install that social network **bleep** on my phone, i DON'T want that stuff on my phone, how can i stop that and why is it not enough to just uninstall it when i first set up my phone?

What Social network stuff are you speaking of? Could you be specific?

This is happening when you connect to the Desktop Software?

Also, for you future reference, you posted in the Forum Feedback and Ideas section, where users can post about and discuss issues related to this forum, not for their devices. In the future you should choose to post in the device model specific section for that which you have.

It is always helpful to receive help, to include your exact BlackBerry device model # and carrier name, so that when you have a question, that information won't need to be asked up front. Also, stating your device Operating System version is normally another common question, found on your BlackBerry at Options > About, third line down, looks like "v4.x.x.xxx"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sorry that i posted in the wrong forum, my new BB is the 9780 Bold, desktop software is running the latest version -About the social network things: I deleted the facebook, twitter, google, msn.... stuff with the desktop software, after rebooting the phone the desktop software automatically set these sn-apps on the "to be installed" list, i checked it serveral times, so before i can update my other apps i allways have to kick the sn-apps off the update list, or they will be installed again. That's pretty uncomfortable, the language packages i don't need (and also deleted same way) don't cause this problem -another nice feature i'm missing in the V.6 browser is the automatic column view (the old browser had it, the new one not) now i allways need to zoom around (that's not a big deal, but it was a comfy feature)

Franz wrote:
Sorry that i posted in the wrong forum,

No problem, it's moved now.

Franz wrote:
my new BB is the 9780 Bold,

You can update your profile here to provide your BlackBerry device model and carrier name, so that when you have a question, that information won't need to be asked up front. Click on My Settings > Personal Information and then SAVE at the bottom of the page.

Franz wrote:
desktop software is running the latest version -

I was asking about the DEVICE operating system. Your "latest" version may not be the "latest" version.

Look on your device (in OS6) at Options > Device > About Device Versions > third line down looks like v6.0.0.xxx

Franz wrote:
so before i can update my other apps i allways have to kick the sn-apps off the update list, or they will be installed again.

That is correct. You need to UNcheck the apps NOT to be installed.

Franz wrote:
another nice feature i'm missing in the V.6 browser is the automatic column view (the old browser had it, the new one not) now i allways need to zoom around (that's not a big deal, but it was a comfy feature)

I agree, we covered that above. I wish Column View will be returned as well.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

My phones OS: v6.0.0.294 (Platform 6.5.0.54)

JSanders wrote:
That is correct. You need to UNcheck the apps NOT to be installed.

at the pic below you can see what I always see when I connect my BB with the desktop software

why does RIM try to force me to install that?  No matter how often I unchecked that **** after every reboot of the BB or new connect to the computer it's like that again

I mean, being a hipster and sign in to all kind of web 2.0 things is one thing, but passive aggressive forcing of customers to use that too is really going too far

sn_annoying.JPG

ps: sorry that the language on my screenshot is German, but I think you can understand what I mean

No problem on the German language.

I see the screen, and all I can say is that UNLESS somebody is sitting next to your at your PC or you've given RIM control over your PC, UNLESS they are forcing your hand to go over and actively click on one of the green + marks, the app is not going to install.

Do you see what I mean? The apps are nested within the installation file to install ONLY if you want to. No one is forcing you.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'm complaining about the fact, that they are automatically flagged to install and that i have to uncheck them every time manually. That's annoying and just makes updating my apps unnecessarily complicated. I bought a business smartphone and not a facebook toy!
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I agree. It's what I get all the time. It keeps marking things like Yahoo messenger, AOL Messenger, MySpace, and all that kind of stuff for install. I have to manually go through and mark them to NOT Install.

Next time, they'll be marked for install again.

It's very annoying, and keeps me from using the Desktop Manager unless I really have to.