Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

some outlook calendar items one hour late

I am able to import MS Outlook 2003 calendar items (meetings) into my new 8310 (v 4.2.2.170, platform 2.5.0.30) without any problems. Except - some (not all) display as being scheduled one hour later than they are (but they display at the correct time in Outlook). This also happens to other people in the company (who also received 8310s at the same time). We are in Arizona (not on daylight time), and these meetings are scheduled by folks in other timezones (on daylight time). My PC and 8310 are both set for AZ time (no DST). SOME meetings scheduled from DST areas come in at the correct time, some are one hour late. All meetings scheduled locally seem to be correct.

Most of these are weekly meetings (recurring), originally scheduled several months ago. Perhaps something to do with a meeting being scheduled prior to DST starting?  

Any ideas? 

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: some outlook calendar items one hour late

Please confirm exactely which time zone is selected from your device?

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Both my PC and 8310 are set for Mountain Standard Time (GMT - 7:00, Arizona does not do daylight time). The meetings are from a person in Eastern Daylight Time.
ccf
New Contributor

Did you ever find a solution to this.  I'm having the same problem in Puerto Rico where we don't have DST.
New Contributor

I did narrow it down a bit. It is only recurring meetings (scheduled from a daylight-observing time zone) that cross the daylight/standard time switch that are incorrect, after the time change. For example, if someone in Boston schedules a meeting for 3 pm eastern time, recurring weekly from now (March, in daylight time) until December, it will show up correctly in Outlook at noon Arizona (Mountain Standard Time, GMT -7, always) until November, and then (also correctly) at 1 pm Arizona time in November and December. However, on the BlackBerry, it will show up as noon AZ time all year. (Similarly, if it were called in January, for 3 pm Eastern (Standard) time, it would display on the BlackBerry at 1 pm Arizona time all year, which would be one hour late during (Eastern) daylight time.)

A single meeting (non-recurring) will show up at the correct time on both devices even if it is called now, to occur in December.

I think the problem is that while Outlook knows that the meeting was called from another time zone, that information is not transferred to the BlackBerry. A recurring meeting is essentially a single schedule entry, with a "recurrance" property, rather than multiple schedule entries. So it is translated to local time and sent to the BlackBerry (as a single event with recurrance). Since the BlackBerry does not know that it was called from a time zone that observes DST, it does not know to change the time in October and March.

So I don't have a solution, but at least I understand the problem. I suppose people in DST-observing time zones will have the same problem if we (in non-DST-observing time zones) call recurring meetings with them. And not all people begin and end DST on the same calendar dates...

Of course, all of this assumes that the remote (DST-observing) PC is actually set for the correct time and time zone, and has the "automatically adjust for daylight time" box checked. If the remote user leaves his PC set for Standard time and manually adjusts his clock in March and October, I'm not sure what happens.

BTW, maybe you already know this, but because of this "single entry with recurrance" property, do NOT check the "remove alarm for past items" box in the calendar setup in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. Otherwise, it will remove the alarm notification for all recurring meetings, once the first meeting in the series has passed. And then, if you do a two-way sync with Outlook, it will remove the alarm notification (reminder) in Outlook as well.

My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

It’s not elegant but I went back into the reoccurring meetings in Outlook and changed the first occurrence to be on or after March 15th.  (Note that you only have to change the meeting organized by people who observe DST.)  Then, I synchronized my BlackBerry.

The only thing to keep in mind is that if someone sends you an update where the first accordance is prior to the clocks changing you will have to go back and edit the Outlook Calendar entry after accepting the update.  As an alternative you can ask the meeting organizers to change the date of the initial meeting to be post DST (March 14) and send out an update.

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

I also have the same issue.  My boss is in Arizona while I am in Michigan.  I schedule our reoccurring meetings in Outlook using Arizona time so I don't have to modify the meeting time with respect of Day Light Savings Time.  The problem only occurs with meetings scheduled that span Day Light Savings Time changes.  If the BlackBerry device calendar was enhanced to allow meetings to be scheduled in different time zones relative to the device time zone this issue would not occur.  The BlackBerry device would have to add a GMT differential value to the reminder time for any meeting not scheduled in the same time zone as the device time zone.  This is a much better solution then modifying recurrent calendar events in Outlook.