Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold
My Carrier: 31651713060

synchronise back up with new phone WITHOUT being able to connect the old phone

My bb crashed, cant even turn it on anymore, i've made several back ups in desktop manager, but when i connect my new phone i cannot finf how to put my old info on this phone without a working old bb> it keeps asking me to connect my old ohone...which...of coure...is impossible :s. Is there any way to get my old info (specially my bb messenger contacts) on this phone?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: synchronise back up with new phone WITHOUT being able to connect the old phone

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The Device Switch Wizard indeed requires a working "old" device. But, you are in luck since you successfully backed up your BB in the past. You can use that backup file as the source of restore to your new BB. You should make sure that your service provider has fully and complete migrated all of your services over to your new BB, and then log into your new BB using the exact same BB ID credentials that you had on your old one. After that, you can perform the restore:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

However, concerning BBM contacts, that will depend on a few factors. If your old BB had moved up to BBM 7, then it is simply a matter of logging into the same BBID with the replacement BB...see the link in my auto-sig regarding backup processes...one of the links in that article discusses BBM contacts and how to properly backup/restore them.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold
My Carrier: 31651713060

Re: synchronise back up with new phone WITHOUT being able to connect the old phone

thanks for your reply...unfortunately i still dont have my bbm contacts :s

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, without more details, I can't tell you why...all I can do is guess:

1) You had not moved, on your old BB, up to BBM7

2) You had depended solely on the backup to also backup your BBM contacts -- that does not always work (as documented in the link in my auto sig)

3) Therefore, your BBM contacts were not included in that Backup File, and therefore cannot be restored from it.

Quite simply, unless you properly backed up your prior device (which, for BBM Contacts required an additional step), you therefore have no source from which to restore.

Sorry for your loss.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................