Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

tab characters

Hello,

Is there a way to enter tab characters in BB text applications, e.g. Tasks, e-mail, Calendar, etc.?  (I have an 8700c.)

For example, if I use tab characters in an Outlook Task and sync it with the BB, the tab character appears in the Task item on the BB; I can even scroll through the text and the cursor will jump from the beginning of the tab to the end of it just as it would on a PC.  This shows that tabs are recognized by the BB since they're not replaced with spaces or something else.  But how to type them on the BB directly is the problem...thanks for any help.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: tab characters

copy the tab and create an autotext, replacing your keyword by the tab.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the tip, Xandrex!
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Xandrez: On a Curve 8330, I copy a known tab character, open AutoText, choose tb as the characters to be replaced, and hit paste to paste in the tab character - and it doesn't work. The AutoText entry shows tb ()

If I copy the known tab character, open Memo Pad, and paste the known tab character into existing text, it doesn't add the tab character. What it does do is this: I type t, which it accepts. When I type b, the b doesn't appear.

When I edited the AutoText entry to replace tb with a number of spaces, it worked. The entry showed tb (   )

It appears I'm not copying the tab character. I hold down the shift ket, roll the trackball over one tab character, choose menu | copy. Can you tell where I'm going wrong?

TIA,

Pete