Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

texting

How do you send a text message to a shortcode that is neither a phone number nor an e-mail address?
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: texting

Go to Messages > Compose SMS Text. It displays your address book and if your scroll to the top you can select [Use Once]. Then key in what ever number you want.
Contributor

Re: Re: texting

Thanks, but that doesn't work. When I use "once only", I am given only 2 options:an e-mail address or a phone number. When I try to enter the shortcode {5-6 digits}, the message cannot be sent.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

what is a shortcode ? are you referring to PIN codes ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

A shortcode is 5-6 digits usually associated with a news or information site. For example, if I want to receive SMS news alerts from CNN, I need to send a text message to a 6 digit number with the key word "ALERTS". Does that make any sense?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]

singersplace wrote:
A shortcode is 5-6 digits usually associated with a news or information site. For example, if I want to receive SMS news alerts from CNN, I need to send a text message to a 6 digit number with the key word "ALERTS". Does that make any sense?

Okay so basically, you want to send an SMS to CNN, and the text in the SMS is very short like "JOANNA" or "ALERT". It's okay, actually the CNN 6-digit number will be recognized by the blackberry as a valid SMS number. Say it's 62020 so send ALERT to the 62020 number.
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-02-2008 01:27 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Re: Re: Re: texting

Thanks;got it!
Highlighted

I'm not understanding what I'm suppose to do to use a shortcode. I keep putting the 6-digit # in the "to:" location & "bal" in the message space where you would normally put your text message you wanted to text someone. However it's still not working.