Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

torch 9810 won't start up after charging?

Hi Guys,

Put my 9810  on charge at 4pm Sat,  (batt was @ 40%) as was going out that evening.

Came back at 7pm ready to go out, 9810 was off, red led flashing (on 10 secs, off 30 secs)

and phone will not now start up at all!!

Tried all the suggested tips, battery pull, hard reset, even the 4hr 15min battery charge trick.

Swapped batteries with sons 9800, (was at 100%) still nothing, (my battery worked 100% on sons 9800)

so not battery problem.

Have now tried the reload the OS using both 'app loader' and 'BBDM' following the instructions in  both KB10144

& KB27956. Each time, the process goes according to plan, and appears to start the reloading process, 'loads JVM and system software' except for both programs 'hang' at the 'reconnecting to JVM'  (wait for device initilization section) I get a dialogue box with

'Application loader was unable to connect with your device. reconnect your device and try again'

No matter what I do, I cannot get past this stage!! Battery in, or out makes no difference. Failure point is always the same!!

Have now also tried 'BBSAK' but this will not acknowledge the phone at all,  whereas at least App loader and BBDM would 'see' the phone when forced to as per the instruction. 

Have not added anything new to phone,  & last update was months ago, and nothing has changed to cause the problem, only charging battery as I have done thousands of times without any problems..

Am currently having to resort to an old phone with no BB facilities, and unable to access backups on non BB phone!!

Desperate for help of any sort. 9810 obviously out of warranty now, and unsure whether repairable or not!! Really need to either get this phone up and running again, or get something better than the one I am using at present..

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: torch 9810 won't start up after charging?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Based on your thorough report (thank you for that, btw!!), I can only surmise that there is some sort of hardware problem with your device. What that problem is, of course, can never be properly diagnosed at an internet distance. Since you are out of warranty, I recommend you find a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB technician and have them render you a proper evaluation and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Hi and thanks for the rapid reply, which somewhat confirms what I thought, after the thorough attempt  I made to rectify the problem...

Have contacted a firm that specilises in BB repairs, (not local, but well recommended) they want £30 ($50) to courier the phone to them for diagnosis, before they will quote for a repair, priced according to what is wrong with it. They also state that if additional problems are discovered, then the price will change accordingly!!

My personal thought is that the main motherboard is foobard, or the ROM needs reflashing, either of which is big money. (there are really ony the 2 boards inside these, (if you have ever taken one apart, not too bad a job!!) plus the seperate screen/slider and keyboard/trackball boards) 

As 9800 are going for around the £40 ($70) and 9810 for £50 ($85) it seems to me that it may be false economy trying to get it mended, when I can get another for almost the diagnosis money. 

Shame, as the phone was superb before the 'crash' and possibly good for other parts, screen, case keyboard, battery, etc.

Might go down that route of buying a 2nd hand unit and selling the old one on for spares to recoup some of the money....

Is it something common to newer BB's, as have had similar 'wipeouts' with sons 9800 and another 8900, but these were retrieved with OS resets, but never happened with the older ones?? (8310/8700) models

Cheers

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome. Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................