Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: att

torch not syncing

After almost 8 months of no problems, my Torch 9800 won't sync properly.  I use the Desktop software to sync with iTunes.  The new music and podcasts appear on the microsd card using MY COMPUTER to look at the files, but they won't show up on the playlists or in the Podcasts app.  Likewise, when I try to sync with Applications (like the required upgrade), it goes through all the things to upgrade even rebooting, but then next time I connect the Torch and start up the Desktop software, it shows the required application upgrade there again. 

It looks almost like the Torch is not recognizing the micro sd card (?).

Any help?  I'm ready to chuck my Blackberry in the garbage.

Nancy

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: torch not syncing

use the Windows Explorer to browse the content of the media card.
configure it to display hidden & system files.
find and delete all files named BBThumbs.dat (there should be one in every folder that contains a media file).

Next, when you go to the media application on your Torch, it will recreate the media cache from scratch (will take a few seconds) and you will see those new files.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Re: torch not syncing - media card issue?

Xandrex, I really thought your suggestion would work.  I deleted all the BBThumbs.dat files (there were over 500 of them) from the media card.  I tried resynching.  Still nothing new will add on in the media files, and old ones won't delete, if I've deleted them from my iTunes library. 

Also, I've discovered that while I can snap a picture with my camera, the pictures don't save on the media card.  

I did notice that when I re-synched the music, the BBThumbs.dat files all show up again on the media card.  Is that supposed to happen?   

Could the media card be failing?  it is a 16gb card and I should have more than 3gb left if everything synchs.  I spoke with a tech person at Blackberry but he wasn't that helpful.  He didn't seem to understand my problem.  I am extremely dissatisfied with this phone and can't believe I have to live with it for another year.   Nancy

Guru I

hello again nkd2011,

after deleting the BBThumbs.dat file, I told you to open the media application. Not do a sync.
It is the job of the media application to create those BBthumbs.dat files. But when they get corrupted, then the media app cannot fetch the files easily, and I suppose your media sync tool is impacted too.

Please redo that and proceed as I told you to, and verify you can play the files on your device prior to the synchronization with iTunes.

About your camera issue, I suggest you open another discussion about it.

I doubt your media card health is concerned here.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Xandrex,

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I followed your instructions and deleted the files then opened my media application on the device and still could not play the podcasts that appeared to have downloaded (titles there, but do not play, and these are old sync's, nothing is showing up from the many sync's I've done since this began on Thursday).

I find it very suspicious that I can't seem to save pictures on the media card, and I've also discovered that I can't seem to save or delete documents on the media card either.  These are not done using the sync function with desktop manager.

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

New Contributor

I replaced the media card today and it appears to be working, syncing properly.  I guess it is fixed for now.  After this, though, my next upgrade phone will not be a Blackberry.  Too many problems.

Guru I

glad you solved the issue, nkd2011!
but if replacing the media card solves everything, then it is clearly not an issue with BlackBerry.