Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: torch
My Carrier: etisalat
Accepted Solution

torch to bold issues

Hi, I picked up a BB Bold 9900 after having a nightmare of a week with my BB Torch that I had been using for just over a year.  I have the following issues with both my phones:

NEW Phone- BB Bold 9900:

Inspite of transferring all my contacts from the Torch to the Bold, a lot of contacts are missing from my contact list in the Bold.  Why is this?  These are still visible in my Torch.  This makes it absolutely pointless for me to buy a BB if it cannot even retrieve my entire contact list.  Absolutely frustrating!

OLD Phone- BB Torch 9800:

1). Touchscreen, red touchbutton and keypad are dysfunctional.

2). Inspite of removing the SIM card, the "search box" on the home page seems to be typing hlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhlhl....... automatically WITHOUT ANY INPUT WHATSOEVER! (spooky!)

3). BB Desktop Software version is up to date as per the Update link .  Says both the desktop ad device are using the latest version.  So no possibility of an upgrade.

How can I fix the issues with both the above devices? Please help!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: torch to bold issues

With you old phone, login to BlackBerry Protect with your BlackBerry ID and do a data backup.  If you don't have BlackBerry Protect installed on your old phone, take the time now to do that.  You can find Protect at www.blackberry.com/protect from your phone's browser of by visiting BlackBerry App World.

Next, once your backup is done, remove your battery from your old phone while it's powered on and with the SIM card still in it.  Replace the battery a few seconds later.

Now remove your SIM card from your old phone and put it in to your new one.  Power up your new phone and login once again to Protect (the login can be found using the above link).  It will see that you've changed phones and will ask if you want to associate your new phone with Protect.  The answer is Yes.  Once it's connected to Protect, look for the Restore From A Backup File icon and choose the backup file you just created.  Load that to your new phone, make sure it restored properly then you can delete your old phone from Protect if you want.

That's the best way I know to handle the situation.  Give it a try and post back with your results.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thank you for the input. I do have bb protect installed on my torch 9800 but its keys are dysfunctional. It seems to be a virus. Any suggestions? Thanks once again.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

There are no viruses for BlackBerry phones, so that's not the issue.  Did you do a battery pull on the affected phone to resolve this?  If not, do so now.  If so, I would suggest deleting Protect from your phone and reinstalling it.  We might have to resort to an OS reload if we get nowhere with this suggestion, but let's give it a try first.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks mate! My keypad somehow started working today and I was able to implement your suggestion.  BB Protect saves the day! thanks a ton!! cheers!