Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

trackball and keyboard problems 8800

Hi, i havent touched my phone today, its been sat in the house so i cant think what might have happened....

basically, i tried to send a text message, and thats where the problems began... i couldnt open anything in my menu using the trackball.... then when i was writing the message, it would randomly open the menu as if i were pushing the trackball... i figured out it was certain keys on the keyboard that was doing this. i have tried cleaning the trackball but it hasnt changed anything, and several sent (half written) messages later its still doing it...

any ideas how i can sort this out?

thanks in advance

New Contributor

Re: trackball and keyboard problems 8800

I'm having this very same problem.  It seems like it doesn't recognize my trackball inputs sometimes, and then it recognized phantom inputs at other times.   It seems to have a mind of it's own, as it's even sent messages to other people.  I took it to a verizon wirelesss center, and the tech tried to do a master reset.  The device cancelled the master reset everytime.  I'm not sure what this problem is.  Please help! 

I don't know what the problem is but it seems as if the device generates "returns" all the time. I cannot really use the trackball anymore for a selection but use the return key of the keyboard. Even then it occurs regularly. What usually helps fixing it is taking the battery out for a while. There seems to be some weird things going on electrically induced by some mechanical problem. I heard about this from quite a number of people. Seems to be poor manufacturing quality.

New Contributor

I'll give it a try.  The technician at the Verizon store seemed to know nothing about this problem.  Of course she didn't document it so that the next tech would have a clue. But I'm sure they don't care about a problem if they can't get any money from a customer.

I am having a simila problem, except I can't get the trackball to move down the menu, only side to side.  Trackball also won't move down in Inbox, either, so I can't delete messages or move down to see old messages.
New Contributor

Beware!  I had the same problem in December 08 while under manufacturer's warranty.  After determining by phone that track ball was defective and not just dirty, I was sent a new phone and told that track ball was covered under warranty.  I was also told that if there was any damage to the old phone, it would be repaired and I would be billed.  I verified that there was none, everthing worked but the track ball.  New phone was fine, everything was great until I was billed $110 for repairs to my old phone!  I told them there was NOTHING wrong with the old phone except the track ball.  It took 4 business days to find out what they "fixed" on the old phone.  They replaced the USB connector claiming it was broken/deformed, replaced the Coax Cable 1600, and all cosmentic exterior housings.  These were all undamaged.  They had very minor marks form 10 months of normal use, but no damage anywhere.  No cracks, no deep scratches, and everything but the track ball worked.  If the $110 is not dropped from my bill, I will be contacting the Utilities Commission in my state and filing a formal complaint.  Just wanted to give you a heads up on how Blackberry operates.

try blowing into around the Track Ball with your mouth.  I have had the same issues m,any times and a simple quick burst off air seems to disolge dirt and dust that cause the problem you are experiencing
New Contributor

hey

i have an 8800 and when i turn it on i cant unlock it because i cant click the trackball in, also the symbol bttons puts in random two letters so i cant finish my password so im locked out of my bb and have no way to get in

any suggestions?

thanks

New Contributor

The only thing I know to try is what they told me when we were trouble shooting over the phone.  Remove any covers that you have added to your phone's exterior.  Lay the phone face down on a clean surface like a mouse pad.  Move the phone back and forth in all possible directions while keeping the phone oriented in the same direction.  Do this around 100 times or so.  This allows the track ball to move in different directions and hopefully dislodge dirt.  If that is the problem, it will help you out.  If not, you'll wind up sending the phone it for repair.  Expect a bill for the replacement phone (reconditioned and not new) like they sent to me.  I got them to drop the $110 charge (see above) but only after a fight.   The screen on the replacement unit went out in July, so I went in to my cellular dealer and gave them the phone back.  They gave me a good deal on a brand new phone.  In the future, I'll be sticking to the Blackberries that are cheapest to replace with a new unit from the store.  The Blackberry warranty is useless in my opinion.  Good luck.

I Love my Berry but I'm having track ball pblms as well - mine wont scroll down so ... how do i turn off/on my alarm? how do I text? how do i open texts, emails etc...impossible.  It will track sideways and up only ... any solutions?

mind you this is after my side charging portal became inoperative and so i solved that by buying a second battery with charger box and I switch batteries daily.

I think RIM needs to rethink the materials they use - delicacy is not desirable ... HELP!  (my carrier, Verizon, is of no help)