Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

trackball fell out - is there a fix?

Hello.  This is my first post.   My curve trackball fell out when the silver ring around it came out.   does anyone know if this is fixable?  My ring has 3 hooks but looks like there may be a 4th that is broken.   does anyone know?  i live on my phone for work and have a very hectic week coming up and need it desperately.  

is there a place i can order a replacement part?   i havent' been able to find anything yet. 

i went to the local att store - the little 17 year old working was no help.   Thanks!

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: trackball fell out - is there a fix?

You can purchase replacement trackballs online. Just do a quick Google search. Also, there are only three progs on the silver ring.
New Contributor

Sounds like it is fine the silver ring only has 3 tabs on it the space where there is no tab goes towards the LCD screen. If the trackball is still mounted in a little metal housing then it is also fine. Just be careful and gently put it back in the phone, it goes in only one way so if it is not going in turn it 90 degrees and try it again. Then snap the silver ring back on. Hopefully that helps.
New Contributor

thanks for the info but i can't get it to "click"   does it need to turn once i get it lined up correctly?  

Michelle

New Contributor

This link might help you out. It has good pictures to show the trackball. I did notice there is 2 ways for that trackball to go in. If you pull it out and turn it 180 that might make it click. The little piece of metal on the bottom of the trackball is what makes it click.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/61362-trackball-removal.html

http://blog.myspace.com/cyberdrew

New Contributor

Yes, there's a fix!  I broke mine last week and I ordered from www.BlackberryTrackballs.com.

I had it the next day! It was so cheap and easy.  The AT&T people wanted me to buy a new one bc they wouldn't fix it. So lame.  Hope this helps you and saves you money!

New Contributor

Thanks - I'll try that one.   so, it was really easy and the ring just popped back on?   they want to send me a refurbished phone....i'm not so trusting of that.  
Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
It was so easy! Believe me, I can't do anything technical, but this I could do. It's empowering!! Plus they had great customer service. (www.blackberrytrackballs.com)
Message Edited by nelly on 06-26-2008 04:36 PM