Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT
Accepted Solution

trying to download the Directv app

It's only available on the Directv site. I select the Bold as my device since Torch isn't an option and the download comes up as a  dot jad file. It doesn't want to open with any program on my laptop. How can i get the directv app onto my torch? It shouldn't be this difficult.

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: trying to download the Directv app

The fact that the Torch isn't an option should tell you something.  All app developers want their apps to be used by as many people as possible, so if it's compatible with a certain model, you can bet that the model will be listed in the list.  The Torch is not.  Your best bet is to contact the developer and express an interest in it.  The more interest shown, the quicker the app will be available for the Torch.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Well, that's kinda snarky.

When I bought the phone, the ATT person  told me that Bold apps work on the torch. Apparently, that's not the case.

Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

[ Edited ]

I have the DirecTV app on my Torch since Oct 2010 (when I switched to Dtv), and I haven't had any probs with it, other than my OS update I did yesterday, that somehow wiped out the app. Grr...

I'll have to grab the app again, then I'll post to let you know if it still works on the new OS I have, v6.0.0.526. BRB...

----- UPDATE (below) -------

Went to the DirecTV.com site via my Torch's web browser (your Torch can access the file, not your PC), scrolled down to the bottom of the web page & clicked on the link to "download app" which is roughly 1.2MB in size. This takes you to another web page to choose which device you have.  For the Torch, select "BlackBerry Storm 9500 series (OS 4.7 or higher)". This will initiate the installation process. 

Since I've had the app before, it asked me to verify that I wanted to install "Scheduler" when another one already existed (It's the same version number as my original install). I went ahead & did it so I could verify for you that it's working.

Once the install's complete, it gives you the choice to "Ok" the install or "Run" it; I chose "Run."  The app loads (may take a few minutes based on your Torch's memory) to the login screen.  Enter the email you registered with your DirecTV acct, and enter the password, then click on "login".  You should be good to go from there, unless you've forgotten your login like I have! LOL *Shoot*

Oh, almost forgot to mention that some of the features require you to be within a short distance (i.e., same room) as the receiver in order to access those features... kind of like using your Torch as a remote.  So you'll want to make sure that you're not trying to use the app from work if it's for a feature that needs you to be in the same room. ;-)

Good luck!