Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: Orange

uma on torch 9810

Hi

I have a very poor signal at home so I have recently bought a second hand blackberry torch 9810. I was looking for an orange branded one as I assumed that only those ones supported UMA but then I saw that it is possible to turn the UMA by going into the workshop settings. I have tried this and followed the instructions all the way to the 'session manager' part. There you are meant to press the blackberry key and there should be a UMA setting screen available. Unfortunately on my phone that option is not there.

Before I get rid of the phone, can someone tell me if the UMA feature is a hardware special to certain phones or is it an operating system software feature. I have read conflicting reports.

If it is a software feature, is it possible to install the older version 6 software on my phone?

If this is a hardware issue and only some 9810 can do UMA, can someone tell me if all the 9800 can have UMA turned on?

Thanks.

Mark

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: uma on torch 9810

UMA, or Unlicensed Mobile Access, is a feature controlled by the individual cell carriers.  In order for it to work on your phone, you need to have your carrier's software installed on your device.  Sure, there may be a way to get around that by getting in to the "workshop settings" as you call it (aka engineer pages), but I HIGHLY advise against that.  If you get into that part and you mess something up, it completely messes up your phone to the point of no recovery, even with security wipe to factory settings.

Take my advice:  If the device you're holding doesn't have UMA readily available, find a device that does or subscribe to the feature through your carrier and download the proper software for it.  In case I haven't answered your specific question, I believe the 9810 does support UMA but I stand to be corrected on that statement.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: Orange

Re: uma on torch 9810

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I found that the latest version of the blackberry operating system does have the correct features so I downloaded and installed it on my phone, then I went through the workshop settings and made the UMA work. problem solved and now I have a phone that actually works at home!