Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

unable to browse on wifi

Hello, I have a bold 9700 that I just purchashed from Wind Mobile. I also have a WRT160N Linksys modem. I can connect to the wireless connection and I have verified that my phone's settings are on the hotspot browser. I have entered my BB pin into the basic wireless settings when i type access my network system at 192.168.1.1 but nothing seems to work. I always get "invalid address:". please help!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: unable to browse on wifi

You shouldn't need to type your BB pin anywhere in the router to get access to the internet with the hotspot browser. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

thanks for your reply. If i don't select "next" when my BB tells me to enter my pin into my network connection, I can only select "back". If i select back, I have to enter my WEP key. When I do so, I can connect to the network fine, but I still get the same "invalid address" error msg whenever I try to access a webpage on the browser.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T Mobile

Hi the pin the blackberry is asking for is the wireless pin for your wireless router....Smiley Happy

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It's not asking for a "BB" pin.  It's asking for a pin code for accessing the security in the router.  What I do when I come across a router that asks me for that is I add the network manually and type in the SSID myself rather than have the device scan for it. 

I don't know if that is why you are getting "invalid address" though. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

hi, no, my BB gives me a PIN and tells me I have like 5 mins to connect. Then I go to my router at 192.168.1.1 and enter that into the basic wireless settings tab, and it auto syncs with my BB and I don't have to type in the SSID key. If i do not select the next button when it gives me a PIN, I have to manually enter my SSID key. However, in both instances I keep getting the "invalid address" error message.. It's so frustrating! I've even tried changing my router. I'm currently trying to update my BB to the newest version. Hopefully that fixes everything.. I'll keep you guys posted, but in the meanwhile if anyone has any information or directions that can help me browse it would be greatly appreciated!

Guru II

If it were me, I'd start by changing to WPA or WPA2 security.  WEP is barely more security than no security at all and the pin thing is a big hassle.  WIth WPA you create a preshared key (basically a password) that you enter on the device when connecting.  You need only enter it once and the device (and other computers too) will remember it when connecting the next time.

Then make sure you have the 'hotspot browser' set as default in Options >Advanced Options >Browser.

Then open the browser and go to the Bookmark page.  Then hit Menu key and select "Go To" and type in the website you want to go to.  Try a simple one like www.google.com

If it still doesn't connect then it is a router issue.  Is there mac filtering or something else blocking it?

New Contributor

I've tried all that and i still get the invalid address error message. I checked my router settings and MAC filters are off. I've tried everything! It's so dumb how I can connect to wifi at second cup, starbucks etc, but not at home!

New Contributor

I'm becoming very frustrated with my blackberry. Why can't it work like all my other devices at home?! Also, nobody seems to be able to provide support. the wireless router company doesn't support blackberries, blackberry doesn't even support blackberries, my service provider wind mobile has no idea what's wrong either. frustrating as ever!! arghhh!

Highlighted
My Carrier: Bell

Darylgan,

I had the same problems accessing the web via the wifi.  In the wireless security settings of the Linksys router, I am using the WPA Pre-shared key and the defalt WPA Algorithm is AES.  It allowed connection with the network but no internet access.  First delete the WIFI profile from the BB.  Change the WPA Algorithm to TKIP and save your settings.  Now use the wizard on the BB to connect to the network.  This fixed the issue on my 9700 and my wife's 8530, both on the Bell network.  Once this was done, I was also able to activate the wireless MAC filter with no issues.

Hope this helps.

-----------

BB Bold 9700

BB Curve 8530