Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Brightstar Corp
Accepted Solution

unable to connect to wifi

hi. i've just bought the 9790 and i'm still figuring out how to connect to wi-fi while turning off my data plan. so far, when i turn off the data plan, i'm unable to connect to wi-fi. any idea guys?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: unable to connect to wifi

You can't browse via Wi-Fi with your Data Services turned off. Turning off your Data Services turns off ALL data to your phone, including data being received by Wi-Fi.
From your homescreen, go to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options and turn on your Data Services. You can then go back and turn off your Mobile Network connection so only data travelling over Wi-Fi will be received by your phone.

I hope that helps you. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: PCCW

Hi, Just read your reply to the original post.

I am also facing a similar problem. If I switch off the mobile network then yes I can browse using my wifi. But I will not be able to receive or make any calls / msgs.

How can I have both of them active?
Is there any mechanism to set your Wifi as default connection? I'm using a Blackberry Bold 9780.

Would appreciate any pointers to this..thanks

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Let me update my original response because it now works differently then it did at that time.

It appears that you can now browse with your Data Services turned OFF (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense).  Back then, Data Services had to be turned ON, now they don't.  This might only be in OS 7.1+, I'm not sure.

OK, back to your question.  If you have your Mobile Network and your Wi-Fi both turned ON, your phone will default to the Wi-Fi connection automatically without you having to do anything in the settings.  I've noticed that sometimes my phone will not connect to a site (or to my facebook app) with both connections ON; not always, only sometimes.  In that case, turning OFF your Wi-Fi should help.

I hope that helps you.  Please post back if you need further assistance.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: PCCW

Adding a few more details :

I have recently taken a PCCW pre-paid service. And
the phone which I am using is a Blackberry bold 9780 (v6.0.0.546).

I am facing problems in connecting to the wifi when the sim is inserted or if the mobile network is connected. I tried checking if this is a problem with the wifi; but its not.

If I switch off the mobile network; then my phone picks up the wifi and I can browse the internet and various applications.

If I'm in the local wifi zone (home or office) & my phone has the sim inserted / mobile network connected (PCCW) on the screen I can see it as PCCW - (wifi name). I tried using the internet services as well; this works fine but my sim card balance also reduces. In short I get charged when I am connected to the wifi as well.

I understand that the stronger signal should get picked up : either wifi or mobile net. But it works well for my room mate who is also using the operator.

That's why I wanted to know if there is any setting which needs to be done at my end? Please let me know on this..