Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

unable to download audiobooks in .wma to 9800

I have successfully downloaded .mp3 audiobook files from the library via OverDrive Media console to my new Torch but I can't download books in .wma format.  I see that older Blackberry devices do not support .wma files and they must be converted but I bought the 9800 because I thought it supported .wma files.

I am running 6.0 bundle 278 (v6.0.0.141, platform 6.4.0.64).

The error from OverDrive says that RIM does not support this file type.

If it isn't supported, what 3rd party conversion tool can you recommend?

thx.

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

Re: unable to download audiobooks in .wma to 9800

just convert it to mp3.  i use Nero.

New Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

I have cobbled together an inelegant solution for listening to .wma audiobooks from the library on a Blackberry.  My BB 9800 Torch supports audiobooks in mp3 format but the vast majority of audiobook downloads from the library are in wma format.  Overdrive Media Console provides a free app to download mp3 audiobooks from library to BB only.  Apparently, you can use an app from Audible.com but then you have to buy their books.  The only solution I found through the forums was to convert the audiobook files from wma to mp3.  I did this but there was still no way to provide bookmark, stop/resume, forward/back etc functions.  Suggestions were to “remember” where you left off.  Do you want to be on the same road with me as I’m desperately trying to find the spot where I left off before a phone call interrupted my book?  I stumbled upon an app for listening to podcasts which works so I want to pass this along.  There’s an initial investment and its not fast but until RIM fires the BB developer who said that the BB is a phone for making calls and reading email, not for entertainment, this is what you can do.  First I downloaded my wma audiobook from the library using Overdrive to my computer.  Then I used a purchased program called DRM Converter ($37) to convert the book from wma to mp3 (takes A LONG TIME). I dragged the now mp3 files from computer to BB.  Once on my BB, I use an app called PodTrapper from VersatileMonkey.com ($10).  Just add each section of the book into a playlist and then you have control over listening.  I especially like being able to choose my output, ie phone speaker, headset or Bluetooth.  Maybe there's another way (why didn't you post it?) but this is what I'm doing.  Good luck and happy listening!

New Contributor

Do you know what version of these .WMA files they are? (version 9, version 10 ,lossless, etc)

I too have been trying to figure out what this Torch does and doesn't support. I figured out that WMA lossless doesn't play (though FLAC lossless does, 16bit/44khz only, not 24/48 or 24/96)

Also what bitrate are they encoded at? Are they DMA protected? (MP3 has no DMA built in). I have some .wma files that play just fine through the built in media player. They are unprotected (DMA turned off), 128kbps, 16bit/44khz. I have even set one up as a ring tone and it works fine. I just moved them over via Windows Explorer file copy.

I was real dissappointed to find out that .asx (WMA streaming) was not available. I had an app on my Bold 9000, called WunderRadio, and it played many of my favorite stream sources (BBC, TalkSport, KTCK 1310am The Ticket in Dallas). After reinstalling WunderRadio on my Torch, I now I have an app that only plays 1/3 of my favorite radio streams. It just hangs on buffering for the .ASX/.WMA files.

Most folks are switching to WMA for it's quality to bandwidth ratio, as well as many buisnesses already having a Microsoft site license that includes the streaming server and WMA codec stuff if they choose to use it.

I'd love to see ATT/RIM address the little things with the WMA compatibility as they've proven the functionality is there with other phones like the Bold 9000, I think someone just forgot to include some things in the code requirements and it was never developed.

This RIM doc has all supported media files specifics (page 12 for the Torch 9800)

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--docsbl...

New Contributor

oh yeah, I'm also on Version 6, bundle 278

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I gave up on WMA and use MP3 as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: att

yeah I know the frustration,  I have a torch 9810 and like to borrow audio book from my public library.  I was able to transfer books that I downloaded on to my computer from liv-brary to overdrive media: CONNEECT your bb via usb and select SYNC MUSIC on your bb THEN highlight title and press transfer and follow instructions and IT WORKS!!!  good luck and happy listening.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the 9810 does have better media support, but this thread was for the 9800

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V