Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

unable to play .rem video files

I am unable to play video files with the .rem extension on my 8230 (ver 4.6.1 s/w).  I realize these files are encrypted on the SD card but I cannot turn off the encryption as the policy settings are downloaded to the phone by our IT department and are unchangeable.  I can view pictures and other files with .rem extensions on the SD card just fine.  If I try to email the files, the picture and other files .rem extension is automatically removed and the emailed files are readable by anyone, if I try to email the video files they show up as 0.0K size and are not readable.  My guess is that the files need to txfer through the phone's device memory to be un-encrypted, but the video files are probably excluded from that process - maybe because the s/w engineers felt most of them would be too big to fit ?  This may be why the pic and other files decrypt as they should and are viewable but the video files don''t.

Any suggestions here or thoughts on a workaround ?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: unable to play .rem video files

Seems that your assumption is correct.

Video files consume high memory volume and it is a problem to decrypt these files on the fly.