Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell

unable to use BB9700 in Thunder Bay

My wife just flew up to Thunder Bay and is unable to use her brand new BB Bold 9700 on the Bell network.  Bell's coverage map on their website show service in that city.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Telus

Re: unable to use BB9700 in Thunder Bay

Well looking at Bell's Coverage Map, there is no HSPA coverage there.... but she does have 1xrRTT coverage.

I guess the "Bell Coverage" you see on the map refers to the CDMA network which will not work with the 9700.

New Contributor

thanks-I did notice that on Bell's map, but I'm not sure what it all means?  No texting SMS/MMS, BlackBerry Messenger or Email available??  This is disappointing given that this smartphone was just purchased...I'm sure there are lots of BBs in T.Bay...

Regular Contributor
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Telus

Just going through Bell's BB inventory and none of them will give me a number for T-Bay.

Visitor
My Device: BB9700

I have the same problem. I work down in Toronto during the week and fly home to Thunder Bay on the weekends. I have a BB9700 which is a work phone that isn't supported up here as it needs HSPA. We'd need 1XRTT which our phone doesn't support. It seems every other blackberry provided by Bell has 1XRTT which will work. I guess shame on us for getting the latest greatest BB.

Wouldn't you think a new BB would work considering all other Bell phones do...I think it's really disgusting. All the website says is future plans for coverage. Well how long into the future??? 

New Contributor

yes the latest and greatest isn't always the latter...I would have thought that there would have been someway to change a setting on the 9700 so I could have at least used the texting (SMS) or just the phone portion of it.  Hopefully Bell upgrades their network up there.  I'm wondering if their are other areas of the province and beyond where the BB 9700 won't work?