Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: O2

update failed when adding email

Hi please can someone help me. I have a curve 9320 and had my work emails and hot mail on my phone. My work emails stopped coming through and after attempting to fix the issue, I deleted my work emails from my phone. When I try to add the work email again it keeps saying update failed. The IT dept said I need to change the mail server settings. Does anyone know how to do this or even if this is what the issue is? Thanks
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: update failed when adding email

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Is your work email account a BES/Enterprise account? Were you able to, with that, synchronize wirelessly calendar, contacts, tasks, and memos? If so, then your IT folks must resolve this BES activation issue.

If you only had email, then it likely was not BES, and instead acted just like any other "personal/internet" email account. But, I cannot quite tell what you are doing and what your IT department is recommending.

If you are using the on-device email wizard and providing only the email address and password yet it is still failing, then that could be what they are referring to. If the server does not respond with the proper server settings (e.g., port, server address, etc.), then the wizard will indeed fail.

To bypass the wizard and force the ability for you to provide those additional details, you need to provide a correct email address, but an intentionally incorrect password. When the screen repaints, the same fields will be visible, but an additional "tic box" for "I will provide these settings myself" (or something similar) will be added...tic that box and proceed, and you will be presented with a screen on which you can manually enter all of the necessary details.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................