Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: update to OS 6?

That's fine...I honestly believe that you should make your own decisions. But, keep in mind what the process is. The process is that RIM releases OS packages to ALL carriers at the same time -- when RIM comes up with one that they feel is adequate, they release it to the carriers. The carriers then each have their own processes to go through to accomplish many things including ensuring that they agree that it is adequate, that it contains they think would benefit their users, and very importantly getting their people trained on it so that they can provide the support that they are contractually bound to provide. If it passes all of those points with a carrier, then they put their "wrappers" onto the OS (those annoying carrier-specific teaser icons we all love so much!) and release it to their user base.

So, when two carriers release the same OS level, it truly is the same OS at it's core...the only difference is the wrappers that they each put onto it. Further, you will find that some carriers quickly release each new OS...and it is my theory that the step they tend to skip is the training of their support staff (which takes the longest). Other carriers you will notice take much longer between releases...and will even skip over some releases that come between. It is my belief that these carriers are trying harder to truly certify the OS and get their folks trained...so they might skip things in the middle.

All in all, any OS that comes from the carrier download portal has been certified by at least two entities -- RIM and at least one carrier. Hence, in no way would it be considered "buggy" or a "leak". However, keep in mind that the process still involves the most imperfect of things -- humans. So any expectation of perfection should be tossed away. Witness the OS 5 versions since I think about the .800 level...many things were "fixed" in those, but a bug concerning bedside mode was introduced...those pesky humans simply missed that one.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Pearl 9105
My Carrier: Maxis

Hi all..

I have updated my Pearl 9105 to OS 6 recently. Everything is going alright at the moment! Maybe I have not explore all the functions available.. Smiley Happy  But there is one issue though, regarding new folder in Home menu. I have a few different email folders in the Home Menu, so what I am trying to do is to create a new folder, to put all the different email folders into one folder. I have no problem creating a new folder, but I can only move one email folder into the new folder. Anyone can help me on this? or is it a bug? Thanx.

Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Airtel

Done but with as usual minor bugs Smiley Happy
Contributor

@Wonders I am trying exactly the same thing... Not happening... Plus sometimes an icon duplicates itself and in the homescreen the scroll controll is lost when I scroll down in the manage connection menu... Seems a lot of bugs...
My Device: Pearl 9105
My Carrier: Maxis

[ Edited ]

I see...thanx...so can we ask RIM to solve this? Smiley Happy

Contributor

No.. Smiley Sad
Contributor

Yes we can ask them for sure Smiley Happy
Contributor

Any reason why we need to delete the vendor.xml file. I am using unlocked phone with Bharti Airtel currently, so if I use a version released by Bharti Airtel without deleting the vendor.xml file, will it lead to problems if I change my service provider in future...
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

aimaaditya wrote:
Any reason why we need to delete the vendor.xml file. I am using unlocked phone with Bharti Airtel currently, so if I use a version released by Bharti Airtel without deleting the vendor.xml file, will it lead to problems if I change my service provider in future...

Hello,

No issues. The only thing that deleting VENDOR.XML does is allow an OS package to be installed to a BB that was not originally from the same carrier as the OS package. Nothing else.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

But mine was brought unlocked... So does this mean all unlocked blackberry owners have to go thru this step... This is like inviting errors... Poka Yoke !