Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

updated software, doesn't work right?

I just bought the 8330, updated the software (had 4.3, need to use documents, which the Sprint salesperson said it had on it, but it doesn't, the document software requires later version), so I updated, but now the manager doesn't see the pin and no device connected. Also, media manager never saw my phone, and how do I remove all the addresses it downloaded from my Outlook Express and not have it download them again?  I liked the way my palm provided me an address book/task/etc program, this one doesn't? I have an older outlook express. IWhen I plug in earphones, the phone still makes noise? I'm sorry, but I'm finding this device very frustrating. Thank you for your help.... Pat Hauldren
Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: updated software, doesn't work right?

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

Honestly, to appreciate the BlackBerry, forget all you knew about the Palm. They are completely different addresses, and with some patience, a couple weeks, and an open mind, you will be glad you have the BB.

You have several issues you stated:

1. Unplug the USB from the BB, and reboot reboot the PC from off.

On the BB, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Try the connection again.

2. Do you have a Media Card in the device?

3. With the BB connected to the PC, open Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced and under the device databases, select the Address Book database and press clear.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for your help.  I did reboot the computer, but didn't reboot the phone.  The battery is always so difficult to remove (thankfully so).  Yes, I have a media card, a 2 gigger from my previous broken Treo.  I see now that the music I had on it isn't available on the BB, isn't right type I guess, and I'll have to go clear all that off and start over again.  And the email addys, I've so many on my desktop, that unless I can folderize them somehow, I def don't want to wade thru hundreds to find one, though that could be just my ignorance of the device.

Which Documnet handling program would you advise?  The Documents to go (at $69+) or a different one? (I found one that was esomething, but now can't find it, but it was something like $29.99).  I will be getting the keyboard (a nice feature, as I'm a writer and freelance copyeditor).  Thanks so much for your help.  The learning curve (I call it learning curse) takes patience and time, I know.

Contributor

Question - when you said <<

On the BB, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.>>

Did you mean have the BB plugged into the power adapter? or just have it on when I remove the battery?

You can press ALT + right SHIFT + DELETE to also reboot... not quite the same thing as a battery pull, but close. I would get used to removing the battery from time to time.

Remove the Media Card, copy your files off to your PC, and reformat it.

DocumentsToGo is the best. It is free for the Standard Edition, and quite honestly does a great job. The other you refer to is eOffice.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

alleypat wrote:
Question - when you said <<

On the BB, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.>>

Did you mean have the BB plugged into the power adapter? or just have it on when I remove the battery?

Just the device on. It doesn't need to be plugged to the charger at the time.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

ok thanks, i'm struggling with the back of the bb now LOL. Where do I find the free edition of Documents to Go?

alleypat wrote:

And the email addys, I've so many on my desktop, that unless I can folderize them somehow, I def don't want to wade thru hundreds to find one, though that could be just my ignorance of the device.

Create a folder on your homescreen and name it something like "junk" and move those email specific folders to that junk folder. Then hide that folder entirely.

All your email will come tothe main messages folder anyway.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

the back, battery, and card are much easier to handle than the palm, thank you again for your help! Smiley Wink Much appreciated

alleypat wrote:
ok thanks, i'm struggling with the back of the bb now LOL. Where do I find the free edition of Documents to Go?

Once you upgrade to OS 4.5, it comes installed.

Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.xxx"

Knowledge Base Updates