Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: updated software, doesn't work right?

(I had to leave for a bit) I called sprint technical support, they put the icons back on my bb, but they said it only supports 4.3 on the bb, there is no 4.5 for it?  I thought I'd ask before I do the link you gave me.  If indeed the bb 8330 doesn't do documents, then I need to take it back.  I need to create and handle documents for my work.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ok, well to be quite honest with you, the 8330 does suppport OS 4.5, or I would not have taken my time all throughout the day to day to assist you with this. OS 4.5 does have DocumentsToGo.

Sprint does not support OS 4.5, yet, on the 8330, one of the last carriers on the planet not to do so after for 4-5 months others do.

Sooooo.... that's the fact. You make the choice. YOU will still get support for your BB from Sprint (for what it is worth) they just won't answer questions about OS 4.5.

And that is what you come here for, help, not roadblocks.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Yes I can imagine it's very frustrating and yes we've spent over 8 hours now working on this bb.  I am dowloading the 4.5, apparently, I downloaded the wrong file before.  Believe me, Sprint will get an earful (and eyeful in email) about this.

[ Edited ]

alleypat wrote:
Yes I can imagine it's very frustrating and yes we've spent over 8 hours now working on this bb.  I am dowloading the 4.5, apparently, I downloaded the wrong file before.  Believe me, Sprint will get an earful (and eyeful in email) about this.

Good.

I betcha yours won't be the first.

BEFORE you do the upgrade, DO a complete backup in Desktop Manager, first.

Then, follow those instructions exactly as written, and you will be good.

Oh, and patience during the upgrade. It can take an hour, and the last 20-40 minutes the BB can look like it is dead and that nothing is happening. Don't jump to unplug it, just let it sit, connected to the USB. It will finally reboot.

Post back here, with issues. 

Message Edited by JSanders on 01-12-2009 04:45 PM
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

ok I ran the install, it came up with desktop manager, my phone looks like normal, still says 4.3, how will I know when it's done? or should I do something else? sync it or something?

alleypat, you really need to give more detail for help.

alleypat wrote:
  it came up with desktop manager,

What does that mean? If you followed the instructions in the link, EXACTLY as posted, Desktop Manager is not mentioned nor needed. So why did it "come up"? Did you click on it?

Those instructions are quite exact and almost foolproof.

alleypat wrote:
  my phone looks like normal, still says 4.3, how will I know when it's done? or should I do something else? sync it or something?

If you are fiddling with the BB now, I hope the OS install is done. Or never happened, if you say you looked at the device and it still says 4.3

Go back to that link and review the instructions and see what you missed.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

ok so I ran the setup launcher again

this time it said I could select repair errors or remove, so I selected repair errors

it installed

then it finished and closed window on the comptuer

Good luck... let it finish.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

OK I'll give this one more try.  As I said yesterday, now when I run the program, it wants me to select repair or remove the 4.5 software from my computer.  I tried repair, but it didn't update the bb.  Do I have to remove it and start again?  If I can't get it by this evening, it's going back to Sprint.
Contributor

Pat,

I think the biggest part of the confusion here is the fact that you are talking about two different things.  You are working on the Desktop Manager application instead of the OS version for your BB.  I just dont want you getting frustrated, but the steps you are being given is to update the OS on your BB.  Instead you keep working with the Desktop Manager application.  I am not an expert to advise you on how to do both of these actions, just want to make sure you keep the two seperate.

Thanks