Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: updated software, doesn't work right?

I haven't opened the desktop manager.  The instructions said to download the file to my computer, then run it and follow the instructions. I did that.  Now when I run the file (the setup launcher) I saved on the computer, it asks me to repair or remove the program. The file I download and ran was:

8330uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel122_PL3.2.0.52_A4.5.0.89_AllTel.exe

New Contributor

should I allow it to remove the program and start over?
Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

pathauldren wrote:
If I can't get it by this evening, it's going back to Sprint.

Perhaps the BlackBerry is not for you. You came to the table confused and I don't think much has been sorted out yet.

I regret encouraging you to upgrade the OS when you were not ready to do so. I apologize.

What you DO need to do is to use the BlackBerry for a week to ten days and get used to it. There is a steeper learning curve on the BlackBerry, I will admit, and especially so for users coming from other smart/dumbphones who are used to other operating systems and functions.

After that period of time, come back here for assistance in the upgrade. For the next week, you won't miss DocumentsToGo, I am certain. Please understand there is a reason that the BlackBerry is THE most dependable smartphone, but it just isn't for everyone. Users place some unrealistic expections on a small handheld device. It is not a laptop, and it does not operate like one. You need to throw everything you think you know out the window and keep an open mind and THEN you might be quite pleased with what you have.You won't get any better assitance on the device than you will here--not at Sprint or ATT or Tmobile or Verizon, and probably not through RIM. 

Or return the device to Sprint and live with whatever they talk you into.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your help.  I need the document function to continue to work efficiently.  Without it, it's just another fone.

Well, then you will have a great device once you are able to upgrade. Those instructions have been simplified to make the upgrade seamless and it should work as long as you have the piece in place and patience to carry it through.

The first time I upgraded I was a nervous nelly and didn't understand all the jargon and detailed steps at the time, either. But this is not like making stew where you can do step 2 before step 1, you just must follow the instriuctions exactly as written. I know I have said that several times, only because it is critical.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

Why did you create a new account/username here?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

for some reason, it wouldn't take my original login/pw, so I created a new one.  So, do I remove the install and start from scratch or what?

[ Edited ]

pathauldren wrote:
for some reason, it wouldn't take my original login/pw, so I created a new one. 

I dont know, it is not important.

But likely, you just didn't enter the same username and password.

Forum logins are sorta funny that way.

Message Edited by JSanders on 01-13-2009 01:51 PM

Knowledge Base Updates