10-09-2012 02:56 PM
so my fella has a bb curve 8520 and it still has the oldest of old settings on there.
I have attempted to update it on the actual software but it keeps telling me no updates are available, i tried updating on the mobile internet site but i'm getting nowhere.
i'd connect it to the computer but i can't find the lead to do so.
is there any other way to update this phone before i take it to the shop??
10-09-2012 03:24 PM
10-09-2012 03:41 PM
10-09-2012 03:58 PM
10-09-2012 04:07 PM
You can try these steps:
1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
2. It doesn't hurt to do a manual backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. You can get BlackBerry Desktop Software here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:
On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)
On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)
5. If you' simply want to update the OS to a newer version skip this step. If doing a clean OS reload, or if the OS won't update, use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (507 error just means no OS installed) then proceed to next step. Caution: If you use BBSAK to wipe the device to a 507 error there always exists the problem that the OS still won't load and then you're stuck with a device that doesn't work at all.
6. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader