Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: pearl

upgrade os??

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as I'm not too technologically minded.

I have a pearl, which i think is a fab phone, however I am finding myself pulling the battery at least once a week due to my messages freezing so I cannot go into conversations unless i delete the whole conversation or pull the battery.  I delete my messages regularly so there are not hundreds of messages in each..

I was wondering if upgrading the software would be of any benifit to me??  When i link to the BB desktop software it tells me I have version 5.1262, and says i can upgrade to 6.2950.  I have no idea what the difference is between the bundles.

I only use the wifii to conncect to the internet so do not have the BB internet package, the only 'smart' application I use is to update my diary via the usb.

Many thanks in advance for any advice  Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: upgrade os??

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

What you describe is something running on your BB that is consuming resources, eventually consuming so many (and not giving them back) that you must pull your battery to clean out memory and recover all of those lost resources. Typically, that's a badly behaving app...or one that you launch and don't properly close. At several points over the course of time, check this...hold your Logo_Blue.gif until the AppSwitcher ribbon comes up...see what is running. Normally, there should be BBM, Home, Messages, Phone, and Browser (given your lack of a BB data plan, you may or may not see all 5 of these)...you can never really close those. But, if there are others, then that's an app you've either opened and not properly closed or an app that you have added that remains running all the time (potentially consuming resources).

To properly close apps, you must, from within the app, press the Logo_Blue.gif and select "Close" or "Exit" (or something similar...the apps can say anything they want on their menu). Then check the AppSwitcher Ribbon again and see if the app is not shut down properly.

As for upgrading...the sad part is that there is very little formal documentation about the merits of one version versus another. Typically, a new version has things that make your BB run better -- bug fixes and such. But, going from 5 to 6 introduces a whole host of other potential issues since 6 was such a radical change from 5. The interface is totally different, the menus are all different, things are very different...if you're not ready for that, then upgrading to 6 wouldn't be wise.

But, it's really your choice. There are many model/OS level combinations that mandate a regular reboot, just because the OS itself had memory leaks. I recall (back when I had a Storm series device) needing to have the QuickPull app to automate that reboot process, normally at night (every night!) when I slept. It's just what was needed on that. It may well be so on yours as well.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: pearl

HI

Thank you for your reply,  I have no apps on the phone (only those preinstalled), and i keep internet switched off.  I have checked the ribbon as you suggested and only BBM, phone, home, internet and messages come up and the messages have just refused to open on me, but only for 1 conversation (out of 11) which contains 26 messages.  I tried switching off and on but the only thing that loets me open and read the message is to pull the battery??

I thought maybe upgrading the operating system may iron out this bug, however if it changes the menus and things I think I'll leave it be.

many thanks Smiley Happy 

Oh another thing I noticed which may be answered here is, i do use wifi sometime on the phone if I cant be bothered to turn on my pc, and i switch the preference to wifi only which turns off the signal, but I have been charged for data usage.  I have also recieved messages while the phone signal has been off - should this happen??

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

zebrastripes wrote:

Thank you for your reply,  I have no apps on the phone (only those preinstalled)

OK...so no add-ons to complicate things. Which, given the overall situation, would point to the OS itself as the culprit here...but let's continue.

zebrastripes wrote:

i keep internet switched off.

By what method, please? Depending on how you "keep internet switched off", that may or may not be helping your situation.

zebrastripes wrote:

I have checked the ribbon as you suggested and only BBM, phone, home, internet and messages come up

Those (actually, "internet" is the web browser app) are the 5 that cannot be removed from the AppSwitcher Ribbon and are forever running. Typically, though, they do not cause the problem you are experiencing, unless the core OS itself is the culprit.

zebrastripes wrote:

and the messages have just refused to open on me, but only for 1 conversation (out of 11) which contains 26 messages.  I tried switching off and on but the only thing that loets me open and read the message is to pull the battery??

This is continuing to point to the OS itself as the culprit...

zebrastripes wrote:

I thought maybe upgrading the operating system may iron out this bug, however if it changes the menus and things I think I'll leave it be.

It might help, or it might not. But, the menu changes are substantial, so staying where you are may well be the best option for you.

zebrastripes wrote:

Oh another thing I noticed which may be answered here is, i do use wifi sometime on the phone if I cant be bothered to turn on my pc, and i switch the preference to wifi only which turns off the signal, but I have been charged for data usage.  I have also recieved messages while the phone signal has been off - should this happen??

You will need to talk to your mobile service provider about that...whatever the constraints of your data plan are, it is they who you have your contract for services from.

So, given your desire to stay on the OS you are on, there is something yet to attempt...a clean OS reload. To do so, here's a procedure that works:

First, you need to find out the exact OS that you are running on your BB:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

If you are on PC, download the proper OS package to your PC...don't install it yet.

Still only for PC...you need to uninstall, from your PC, any BB Device OS packages that might be installed...if there are none, then no problem.

Next, you need to be sure you have the proper RIM Desktop Software installed...don't yet run it:

Next, only if you are on PC, you need to install that BB OS package that you downloaded to your PC...don't let it run it just yet.

Now, launch the Desktop Software and, when prompted, connect your BB. Let it go through what it requires, but if anything is offered as optional, bypass it. Don't let it apply any updates or anything just yet. Once you can, take a backup:

• KB23680 Backup BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0 to 7.0

After the backup completes, shut down the Desktop Software (you can leave your BB connected).

If you are on a PC, you can then use this procedure to cleanly reload your OS:

Note that while written for the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure instead:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Once you are done with the OS reload, you should do these steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Now, check your BB to see if things are running OK and if your data remains intact (the reload process should have allowed you to let it backup/restore your data). If your data is not there, then perform a manual restore using the backup you took earlier:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

Now, run with this for a while and see if it has helped the situation.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................