Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8130 Pearl
My Carrier: TELUS
Accepted Solution

upgrading 8130 pearl to 4.5

Hi there,

I have been trying to upgrade my pearl to 4.5 but have not been successful.

I have followed all the different methods to upgrade, ie delete vendor.xml, use jl_commander, etc.

I always comes up as the error 507 (no os loaded).   after the attempted upgrade the phone is not recognized by the pc, I can hear the usb connect and disconnect beeps by the pc. 

I am an advanced user and I have been searching the 'net for a similar problem, but all responses come up with the same solutions that I have tried and failed with my phone.

The newer upgrade files have amea in the file name and the old 4.3 has efs in the file name.  Is this important? are there different hardware versions of the 8130?  Mine is from TELUS Mobility.

At one point, I did get the 4.5 os working but at that point it wasn't recognized by my pc ( i tried different pc's) and wouldn't even recognize the AC charger, so I couldn't charge the battery at all.  I eventually went back to ver 4.3.

Version 4.3 has always worked when reloaded.

Hey Blackberry!  Any suggestions?

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: upgrading 8130 pearl to 4.5

The AMEA only indicates the languages included.

There are two different version of the 8130... the 8130 and the 8130m.

Look at the Options > About screen, which is yours?

Then, make sure you have the correct OS version, for the 8130 or 8130m.

Both of the latest OS releases are here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your help.

nope.  just says 8130

"Blackberry (r) 8130 smartphone (CDMA)"

I checked your link for the latest OS.  The one you have is newer than the one that is posted in the TELUS area at Blackberry Downloads.  How generic are the OS upgrade files?

jrhead60 wrote:

I checked your link for the latest OS.  The one you have is newer than the one that is posted in the TELUS area at Blackberry Downloads.  How generic are the OS upgrade files?

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

Once you delete the Vendor.xml file, it is completely generic.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks again.

Okay, I tried the newer file and deleted the vendor.xml, used loader.exe.  No go. So I went back to 4.3.  Loader asks if i want to keep the newer software on the phone or load the older software from the file. 

It looks like part of the 4.5 is being loaded but somehow is not able to connect.

Much gnashing of teeth, biting of knuckles......

jrhead60 wrote:
No go.

What exactly does "no go" mean? Can you be specific about what happens in the process?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

sorry.

I went through the process up to rebooting the phone.  After the reboot it never connected to the pc and went to the 507 error.  I tried several times with the same result.

Deleted old os files.  Installed the new os files.  Deleted vendor.xml.  Started loader.exe. Connected phone.  After picking the options, I clicked ok.  Then it says it's erasing the applications , then loading system files, then goes to the reboot.  Phone only boots to the 507 screen.

It just seems as I'm doing the same things over and over.  Are there any kind of install logs?  Though the only error in the process is when loader times out not being able to connect to the phone.

No error pops up?

Make certain your USB cable is connected to a MAIN usb port on the rear of your PC. Not a USB hub or front PC port.

Otherwise, try the upgrade on another PC, for one suggestion.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

JSanders,

Checked all my usb ports (i'm using a laptop) and they all had 500ma available.  went a bit further and found that my mouse and the blackberry were sharing the same controller and the blackberry wanted the full 500ma.  So I moved the mouse and tried again.  error 507.  Then I got thinking (maybe I should have started with that) that some devices require the special manufacturer's cable (I was using an extendable cable out of a universal cable kit).  I tried a different usb cable (from my Moto phone) and lo and behold it connected right away!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe the universal was only using 4 conductors and the BB needed all 5?  USB 1.0 vs USB 2.0??

The bb is in it's rebooting from scratch mode so it'll be a while til I know for sure.

i'll let you know.

Excellent, thanks for the update.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates