10-23-2012 05:28 AM - edited 10-24-2012 12:19 AM
one hour earlier, the user suddenly found all sent emails are shown duplicated. the user has Bold 9700, we are on Office365; BES cloud service. any suggestions? i found this Article on RIM , http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB32871
10-23-2012 07:14 PM
I am having a similar problem with my Torch on AT&T and a client's Bold on Verizon. I noticed it over the weekend, not sure if it is happening to everyone, no one but he has complained from among the 20 BlackBerry users in his firm. We are all on Office 365 and using BBCS for the Blackberries.
10-24-2012 12:22 AM
11-01-2012 02:44 PM
I can't believe they are still investigating this issue since 10/17! Our users (the ones left on BB) are experiencing this problem still. We're down to less than 10% of the users on BB, but they require most support than the other 90% who are on the iPhone.