Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Bell

using Canadian phone # in Spain

Hi

Travelling to Spain for only 10 days and need a phone while there.  Can I purchase a prepaid calling card in Spain and use it with myCanadian  BB in Spain?

thanks

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: using Canadian phone # in Spain

Hi there,

You can do this if your BlackBerry has been unlocked, however you should be aware that you will not be able to use your Canadian phone number with a SIM card from another carrier.  The phone number is tied to the SIM card, so if you use a SIM card from Spain, you will end up with a Spanish phone number.

I hope this info helps, but feel free to ask if you need further assistance.

As a further heads up, be aware that if you use a prepaid SIM card with just voice access (i.e. no BlackBerry data plan), you will not have access to your BlackBerry data services (only when you're connected to Wifi).  Just something else to be aware of.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks for the reply.  So I need get my carrier to unlock the phone first?  

I don't really want to purchase a Spanish SIM card, I just wanted to buy one of those prepaid calling cards if possible.  I won't be making many calls, but still want to be able to accept calls using the Canadian phone number.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

The catch is that even if you use a prepaid calling card, you'll still incur very expensive charges.  Who is your carrier?  Telus, Bell and Rogers charge ~$2-3/minute, even for local calls, so the prepaid calling card won't help.  If you want the ability to accept incoming calls, then the best thing for you to do is to contact your carrier to see what sort of International Roaming plans they can offer.  I know Telus has one that allows you to reduce the cost once you hit a certain level, and I'm pretty sure both Rogers and Bell should as well.  I don't know about some of the other carriers (e.g. Wind).

Give them a call and they'll be able to give you exact pricing and give you possible options.  Smiley Happy   And if you end up deciding to unlock your device, let us know and we can help out.

One other thing is with regards to the data again.  When you call your carrier, also check the price for data.  You may end up wanting to turn your data network off while you're there as prices can be $30-50/MB (can add up very very quickly).

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!